General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

tires rubbing/suspension recommendations

Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Default tires rubbing/suspension recommendations

Alright, so I just got my 17's a couple days ago with 205/40/17 tires. I am not sure what the offset on the rims are, butI knowit's close to stock.

Since then, if someone rides in the backseat, my tires rub the fenders while turning or going over bumps. Also, when I take 90 degree turns that involve any kind of small hill or bump,the tires on the outside of the turn rub.

I currently have dropzone shocks/struts, and Tenrai lowering springs that i bought on ebay (they say 1.2 inch drop rear, 1.4 inch drop front - I suspect this to be wrong though, because when i put them on, it seemed like more drop than that).

I know these tires are a little too big for my car, butI have noticed alot of people with 17's don't have rubbing issues. I am thinking that these cheapo struts/shocks and springs are too bouncy, and are causing my problems, and I want to replace these with some ones that will rid me of my rubbing issues.

I was looking on ebay, and i found some Tokico HP shocks/struts, with some Tokico lowering springs. (1.4" drop front and rear) for $345 with free shipping

My price limit is about 400 dollars, and I want to know if you think these springs and shocks/struts will be stiff enough to keep my fenders from going down too far and rubbing my tires, without sacrificing the drop i am looking for (which is 1-1.5 inches)

Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: tires rubbing/suspension recommendations

I also have some 205/40/17 on my 00 Si with eibach springs...My ride is so smooth and the tires tuck in right inside the fenders...mine don't hit or rub on dips,bumps etc with or with out people on the back

Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 PM

I've been searching around on the forum doing some research, and i've come to the conclusion that the problem is probablymy springs. I will never buy any part of this importance without a trusted name again. They arereallyabunch of garbage,and i'm getting some H&R sport springs - due to the higher spring rate and of course, Quality.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

Yeah never cheap out on parts or you will end up doing it again and that's time and extra money

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM

yea, i figured that out the hard way...
anyway, do you guys think that the dropzone shocks and struts will be okay to keep? Or are they so bad that i shouldn't drive with those. I ordered the H&R sport springs last night for 170 shipped on eBay. I would love to not have to replace my shocks and struts though.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well depends where the wheels are rubbing?
on the rears if the inner fender can come down on the side wall of the tire THAT IS VERY BAD. and will cut right thru the tires leaving you with trash!

and on the front look at where it rubs... i know on my 99with Stechs it slightly rubbed on the TOP inner fender liner CLIP... what i did was simply pull the wheel off the car and use a rubber hammer or even a regular hammer and kinda tap those clips alittle so it bends them up a bit and if they still hit the clip then go buy some door panel clips to that size, they are lower profile and when 1/8th a inch keeps you from rubbing thats all it needs

BUT for the rear fenders you have to roll the inner fender lips. very common and preaty easy...
just do a search for ROLLING FENDERS and youll probably have my thread pop up. very easy to do with the proper tool!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:22 PM

the fenders are rubbing on the top outside edge of my tires.

first i'm going to wait until i get the springs.

they'll drop the car 1.6 in the front and 1.4 in the rear.

the ones i have now say they drop 1.4 in the front and 1.2 in the rear... but... i suspect this too be way off because when i installed them it seemed to drop it like 2 inches all around. Plus they only rub on hard cornering or when people are in the back.

the spring rates on these springs are horrible. they bounce a lot, and if i sit on the front left or right fender of the car it goes down like an inch and a half. same thing if i sit in the backseat

if i still have any rubbing after this i will try rolling the fenders

i'll still roll the fenders though if it's close to rubbing - but hopefully it won't even be close

Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your rubbing right now..... then i HIGHLY sugest puting the stock wheels back on until you get your new springs if you think those will solve the problem. cause im PREATY SURE even if your tires are warrenteed if you have bad rubbing/slicing marks on the tires they probably wont warrentee them cause thats a fitment/user error and not product failure...
just trying to save ya some cash.... cause NO ONE likes to buy tires! but that is the right size tire they should be running but that size is for stock height... on lowered cars they could always rub. which is why ya find the rubbing spots and tweak them so they dont rubb.

edit... these are my Stec springs with simply bouncing my coupe..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFI-X7UlwnY
more travel helps for the softer ride i like them myself...

and my horible video of me rolling my first fender. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHM-A_aFCoY
but just shows how easy it is! but remember to heat the paint up... i already heated mine up preaty good and i didnt want to video that.LOL
just cross your fingers that your cars never had any fender/bondo work!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

is there any negative camber in the back??

Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: **Alan**

is there any negative camber in the back??
yes, a little bit (haven't gotten my alignment done yet)

i'm gonna wait to get the alignment done untl after my springs are on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tires rubbing/suspension recommendations