General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

towing question for winter ease......

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default towing question for winter ease......

just curious... ive seen most of these like front tow hooks on race car setups to easy towing back.....

and whats had me thinking is since my 94 will be my winter beater im considering either buying or making my own tow hooks. that way IF i do slide off the road or get hung up on a snow bank a front and rear tow hook would be ALOT easier to hook up if i do need to be pulled out......

like this....

i just have no idea how those bolt to the car..... im sure i could make my own i know the front hook will be REALY easy to make and replace on of the original hooks.... BUT the rear i have no idea how it would bolt securely to the car.... i dont want it to rip the rear off the car.......

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: towing question for winter ease......

Doesn't your car already have one? My hatchback does. It has them on the front and on the back.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

Yea same here i have a 93 hatch and it has one on front and back. So if u make them it will def be easy for both from and back. The back one that you make can just attach to the stock one in the back go for it then post some pics of how it turns out.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i know i have some small factory ones BUT if im hung up on a snow bank or slide off into the ditch id have to dig to get to those little hooks... plus if im geting pulled out with a winch or tow strap i wouldnt want to rip off my bumpers....

Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Those factory hooks are pretty strong. They're used to tie the car down during shipping. I don't think there's anything strong under the front center of the car to attach a hook to. The factory ones are on the frame box on the front sides.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

The only thing I could find is this, it shows the rear is just installed by some bolts and nuts, the front I'm not sure though.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1270973&page=2

Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i just dont see how the rear is only 2bolts.... i dont see how it wouldnt like FLIP up and crush the bumper as well... gotta be some kinda bolt to keep it from just turning up or down.....
maybe im wrong... i dont know....

the front i know i can custom fab up my own with some steel cause its got 2 hook spots in front that bolt to the car... VERY SIMPLE fab up thier.... but i think the rear will be the hardest cause the factory hook just looks welded to the car......
my old 84crx i had was so badly rusted that that back hook was just dangling from such bad rust..... so that makes me think its not REALY strong thier......

ive thought about removing the bumper cover.... then drilling holes for the bumper bracket and use some new hardened bolts to extend all the way thru the bottom frame and bolting some type of bracket for a hook..... id think it would be alot stronger thier....

ALSO for the front i want to do some type of crossmember brace infront of the motor and make it low enough so its about 1/4-1/2inch lower than the oilpan/exaust..... that way if i do run up on a curb it will damage the crossbeam before damagine the motor... ive just been looking at the 94 and it looks like it could be a HUGE problem if i lower it to much and hit something.......