General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Trade my car for a 5-spd before it's too late?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Default Trade my car for a 5-spd before it's too late?

So I was just browsing cars today at work and I happened to stumble across this:

98 EX coupe 5-spd

It's basically the same exact car I have, even about the same mileage, just green and 5-spd. I went by to look at it today and they said it was out getting an alignment, come back tomorrow. I plan to. Does $3,500 seem too cheap, or is it my imagination? For that price, I *should* be able to work out a deal for a straight trade. Obviously I would put my car back to stock and keep all my goodies. I would be eating the cost of the window tints, but that's cheaper than a tranny swap is ever gonna conceivably be, so I can live with that.

My main concern is that even if I do an even trade, or make a little money, I might be getting a bum car. Obviously I will be taking a close look at it tomorrow and giving it a whirl, but let's be honest, some things ya just don't discover during a test drive. Also if the interior is disgusting I won't even consider it. I mention that because I noticed there are no interior pics of the car. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

ANYWAY HERE'S THE POINT: IF the car checks out, should I take a chance on trading it with mine? A car like that probably won't sit for too long around here, and of course there's the matter of a supercharger install this weekend. What do you guys think?

EDIT - oh yeah also noticed "power seats" and "side airbags". Are they talking out their *****? I didn't think those were even available in older EKs?

Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Trade my car for a 5-spd before it's too late?

That price isnt that far off. KBB's private party value is only 4200.

Seems like a good deal, but like you said just take it for a ride, check everything out, and go from there. Do you konw any mechanics personally? If so, take them with you.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 PM

No but there are at least a dozen places within walking distance of that dealer that could check the car out for me for about 20 bucks. I dunno, I passed by again this morning and still no car, now he says it may be tomorrow before they have but he'll call me later today whether it comes in or not. Bleh. I wish we had more GOOD car dealers around here.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 PM

il prolly attempt the auto -> manual conversion eventually

Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 AM

Well as I predicted it was nasty dirty inside and out, and the power stuff was in as bad or worse shape than in my car, so I decided to pass without even giving it a drive. Oh well.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:49 AM

Yeh, I was gonna suggest passing on it since the dude kept puttin it off (out for this, back tomorrow, and such). He just sounded like a shady salesman.

Usually, if it's the "real deal", the car will be there waitin for you to look at it.