General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Trading car for '99 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Default Trading car for '99 civic ex Pics inside!! UPDATED CAR

So i just go about here everyday, for some reason just fascinated by this stuff. But anyways, I have a '98 eclipse rs, hitting 90k. I need a bigger car! So I posted on craigslist and someone found me with a civic ex 2dr. I haven't checked it out yet, but the car seems to be in great condition, except for the left side of the bumper which is a little scraped.
Other than that it has 110k miles, and he wants to do a trade. My car (eclipse) has about 91k miles, still great condition, leather, upgraded audio, Brembo sport rotors. Should I go for this? I've always wanted a honda for some reason, just the fact that its reliable, but I don't know much about this year in particular
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/sin...9EukenP-p-jRBFIMk9CAKN
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/sin...9EukenP-p-jXdSJeKo1krf
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/sin...9EukenP-p-jQCPuVTIZ9sI
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/sin...9EukenP-p-jURL6-q0oxux
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/sin...9EukenP-p-jczim7cGPtVi

So and please dont agaisnt my eclipse,its been a wonderful car but like I said I need a bigger one, so hmm try not to base the opinion on the fact i have an eclipse lol. He just told me he removed the short ram air intake and the check engine light when on, he put it back on and its still on. I think he just needs to remove the battery to reset it.

Last edited by cr2250; 09-15-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: NEW reason
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

pics don't work, try using photobucket to host the pics.

Is this going to be a straight trade or cash on top trade. if its a straight up trade i would not do it for a 110K civic though civics are known to last pretty long. but i might do it considering that i will get better gas mileage and saving a little more on gas when i get the civic. considering the mileage on your eclipse, i think there should be cash on top on his side. i don't think the civic coupe is a lot more spacious than your eclipse but it will be a little bit more roomier. before you decide to go with the civic you should get the check engine light checked out. you do not want to get it and find out it's for something else and not the intake.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM

It would be a straight up trade. Would I be at a loss? I thought it was a good trade, considering i can't find any hondas within a good price range, they are pretty high up there

Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM
HCF Member

is your eclipse an auto too? I do not recommend auto civics (or almost any automatic cars for that matter lol, manual FTW) as it is already a slightly underpowered car and an auto tranny will only make that all the more obvious. The difference in 0-60 times between auto and manual in a civic can be more than 2 seconds depending on driver

Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Mine is auto too, and trust me, its not the fastest either. I think the eclipse has a little more umph but thats it. I know, I want a manual but nobody around my area is willing to give up a manual honda for my car. Its already pretty difficult to find a honda in my area. How much would YOU pay for this car, since originally i listed my mits at 5200

Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Is there much leg room in the back? I rode in a 4dr civic and it seemed fine to me. The eclipse has no leg room what so ever, don't even acknowledge the back seat. lol

Old 09-13-2008, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I know what its like, I had to wait an extra month or two before finally getting a car because I refused to get anything auto. I already had a manual car but it was a 2DR 4WD suzuki sidekick, and if you think a civic is slow go drive one of those lol (gotta say 4WD in the winter was a plus tho). For a civic of that year with those many miles and everything in pretty good condition aside from minor wear and tear stuff (ignoring the fact it's auto for a second lol) I would consider 4500-5000 to be a good price, and the most I would pay would probably be 5500, so an even trade is not really unreasonable but if you could get a bit of extra cash that would be cool

I have a 2dr as well, and although I do not ride in the backseat of my own car often lol, it is definitely decently comfortable (just not behind the driver's seat cuz I sit pretty far back even though I'm only 5'9" ). And if trunk space is what you want then when you flip down the rear seats you have a ton

Last edited by C-lo; 09-13-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 PM

The only upgrades I did the eclilpse:
Pioneer headunit ($200)
Polk d651's in front (130)
Boston s6's rear (130)
Brembo sport rotors (170)
Pirelli tires on last year (400)
Alarm system (160)
Spark plugs and wires

Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

Dont trade straight up. Theres a reason he wants to trade you! He's giving you 20k miles and possible engine trouble! You know the history of your car, and he's been driving around with the CEL on! Not that much roomier. Hold out and wait for a 4 door (since you want room) or a manual. Just wait and get what you really want.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:22 PM

He said he removed the short ram intake at my request and the check engine light came on...isn't that normal?
Also is there much of a difference between the 4 door and 2 door as far as rear legroom? Isn't 110,000 low for a civic, and hmm I'm going to get it checked by the auto clinic, and they'll tell me whats up. If there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, should I go for it?

Quick Reply: Trading car for '99 civic ex