General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Default trailer hitch

i have a 87 civic wagon with real time 4x4..

i am wanting to install a hitch to pull a small trailer with dirt bike. not much weight at all. i pull this trailer (folding 4x8) with mower and atv around the yard with no problem, so i assume the civic could do it easy.

where can i find a hitch to mount to my civic wagon?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM
HCF Member

I'd start here, but a Google search will come up with more.

I've used Curt hitches on other cars in the past, and they seem to be pretty good. They install with tight tolerances, though, so if your car has seen some drama in its life, you might have some installation issues. You'll also want to make sure that the Civic's frame is in good shape (ie, not rusting), since the load of pulling the trailer will be dispersed through it.

The other thing you'll want to find is a plug & play wiring harness for your car, especially since you have separate brake lights and turn signals. You may have to get it from another vendor, but it'll save you a ton of hassle from splicing wires, grounds, and such with the new connector.

Don't forget, you'll also have to register that trailer for road use.

Last edited by ChristianL; 01-01-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM

yeah, i already have the trailer thing covered. i have two utility trailers, one is way to big for the lil honda but the other is a lil fold up 4x8 i should be able to use and am picking up a small single rail bike trailer tomorrow from a buddy for free. it is small and light.

i just need to figure out a hitch/wiring for the car, everything i can find for 87 civic wagon says (except 4x4)?

i have a 97gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 that i can use to pull whatever i need... but would really like to be able to pull my dirt bike to riding areas with the civic wagon. everybody shows up in their trucks. i wanna use my wagon!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by tpar1220
...everything i can find for 87 civic wagon says (except 4x4)...
I noticed that while doing the quick search. I wonder if the rear drivetrain interferes enough into that space, or if the fuel tank is different sized? Or just a matter of no one ever got under one to measure.

Just curious - what's your bike? Just thinking that anything short of a CR500 or CRF250 might fit into the back of your wagon.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 AM

Just curious - what's your bike? Just thinking that anything short of a CR500 or CRF250 might fit into the back of your wagon.

ktm 300 mxc.. no way it's gonna fit unless completely disassembled.

i am hoping the problem with the 4x4 is a space issue and not a drive train issue.. meaning the real time 4x4 will be damaged by the added stress of towing something. but since all i can find is.... "except 4x4". i was hoping by posting here that someone would know something. if it's just that no one has made anything to fit under it... maybe i could make something to work or take to a place to weld something up.

this is my current set up on my fold up 4x8.. i am guessing total weight of no more than 800lbs.