General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Treachery! Blasphemy! Uh, something else that ends in 'y'!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Default Treachery! Blasphemy! Uh, something else that ends in 'y'!

So it looks like I wasn't destined to be a Honda guy for long.

I just got a settlement from a recent car accident, and while I'm waiting for the money to go through escrow, I started planning what I'm going to do with it. Cars were big on my list, seeing has how I've been taking the bus for the last few months. I have a dead 91 hatch, and I had planned on putting a ZC motor in there and doing it up to drive.

Once I saw that the bill, incomplete, came to over 3 grand, I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I might never again get the chance to own some of the cars I've lusted after for the last few years, and I just couldn't see building my hatch and watching someone go "it's just a hatch."

A very nice hatch, yes, but just a hatch.

Unless something unexpected happens, I'm going to be picking up a pair of 80s MR2s from a guy for cheap. One's kind of ratty, a gutted SC model built to race, and the other's a pretty clean NA model. One could argue the merits of both cars back and forth all day, but when it comes down to it: the MR2 was built to be a sports car, nothing else. And the Civic isn't ever going to be mid-engined or rwd.

It will haul stuff and friends around, though, so I toyed with the idea of just getting the ZC in there and driving it like that. But for the trouble and cost, another car that I've wanted for years reared it's not-so-ugly head: the early-90s Sentra SE-R. Stock lsd, 140hp, 2.0l DOHC motor, great (though thoroughly different from the Civic) chassis. Back seat, trunk. Zero work. Whoops.

I can't say it wasn't fun, that I didn't make plans for a badass little hatch. After all, it was what I had to build, and it's a capable car. A capable car with a peeling respray, banged up front fender, with no carpet... I don't know. I guess I'm tired of making excuses. And anything with an H badge on it was more costly than the cars I wanted more. For a while, though, I was into my Honda. Can't deny it. But I think I've always been more of a Nissan guy. Can't help it.

It's been fun. If an old friend of mine doesn't want it, I might just give it away for free, with the Teg sway bars, front brakes and MC, 14" alloys, replacement hood and spare glass. It might have it's problems, but it's a Florida car and is in a hell of a lot better shape than most of the hatches I've seen on LI.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Treachery! Blasphemy! Uh, something else that ends in 'y'!

to bad about the honda, and the money your getting for it...i would go with the mr2's..i think thos would be cool

good luck with what you decide to do