General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Turbocharging a civic, or should i stick with my turbo supra?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Default Turbocharging a civic, or should i stick with my turbo supra?

I'm new to this forum and i have a question which i think it has been answear before but i'd like to make sure before i start reserching. Right now i have two cars an alero for everyday use, and my toy a 1987 Supra5spd turbo, with a rebuilt cylinder head and full exhause system putting out around 270hp give or take (smoked a mustang gt, 3000gt, stealth, moded civic, and lost from corvete by a car lenght) . I'm planning on giving my alero to my younger brother and thinking of purchasing a civic 96+.My plans are to turbocharge the car but stilldrive it daily. I need a reliable turbo kit but also i would like to make enough powertake a 3000gt at least. Before i install the turbo do i still need to replace the head gasket, borethe cylinder headetcWhat do you guys recomend and whats your opinion?Please take it easy with any smart *** comments. Thank you for any kind of help.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Default RE: Turbocharging a civic, or should i stick with my turbo supra?

I hope it doesn't take a while to reply to my question. One more thing about exhauste system, 2.5'or 3' piping diameter i know you need to have a back pressure for non turbo cars. which one you thing will do if i do not install a turbo

Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

you can definitely turbo a Civic and have it still be your DD, and you dont NEED to replace the headgasket/headtstuds but its always a good idea. Anyway, the cheapest way to turbo a Civic is to piece together your own kit specific to waht you want out of your car. And then the tune. The tunes is SO crucial, your tune makes or brekas your car in the long run. Go over to the Nitrous, Supercharger, Turbo section and read EVERY sticky over there, theres so much info to learn. And size of the exhaust depends on how much HP you've got. 2.5" at the least, 3" wouldnt be a bad idea either. Theres a chart somewhere around here about the HP vs. Exhaust size......and last but not least tuning/fuel managemnt is gonna be a bitch on 01-05 Civics, and i imainge expensve on 06+, so 96-00 is your best bet for turbocahrging. Just find one with low miles and do a compression test. Not to mention they probably have teh biggest aftermarket support

Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

ill trade you my 99 boosted civic for you 87 supra [8D]and then ill build your old supra to the moon

you do realize supras are the kings of boost correct? and that a supra can handle like 650whp on a stock motor???

screw the civic, supras are golden, one of the most sought after cars to boost... why would you boost a civic when your sitting on a car thats just screaming boost.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM

whoever barely beat your supra in a vette must of been a lousy driver!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM

If you have the money and time, do it.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

did the 87 even come witha turbo stock i dont think that they started to put them on until 89 when they changed the body again?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Thank you everyone especialy FlipHKD720, actualy i'm not thinking of trading my Supra with any other car exept a newer Supra. I know that a Supra like mine with a 7MGTE engine is capable up to 800 whp ( http://7mpower.com/will_neely.shtml). Yes Supra is the king on high horsepower cars, but the thing that you guys do not know about Supras is that the parts are very expensive. Only my HKS headgasket coast me 200bucks, Downpipe 300 ( ex TMS MK3 Downpipe with Turbo Elbow TMS dp for mk3Regular price: $469.00Sale price: $389.00 ), and with a civic for that much money you can buy a lot of things. I do have the time right now but not that much of money. Most of the work on a car i can do it myself so i save a bit there. I like Hondas because they are small and light but they can be realy fast, plus they are reliable. So a T04/T3 Garrett or a Turbonetics will do just fine?