General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.
View Poll Results: Some choices I could consider
Keep the civic, put some $$ into it dont really need ac for a non-dd
33.33%
sell the civic, buy a rhd import (skyline, rx7, 180sx etc.)
58.33%
keep the civic and use truck for ac purpose lol
0%
sell the civic find another project with ac (mabey an old 5.0 stang)etc.
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Upcoming project, need some opinions on what to do $$

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
HCF Member
Default Upcoming project, need some opinions on what to do $$

Hey guys I was not going to post this but I just can't decide what I should do. Here is what Im trying to decide on. I have my 1994 civic cx, its got no options at all but is one of the lightest civic hatches around in stock form because of it. problem is summer is approaching and with that comes hot weather. I am trying to decide if I should sell my civic (because it has no air conditioning) and use what money that brings to put towards a rhd import (all have ac basically) mabey a skyline gts/gtr or another 180sx in better shape possibly even a eg6 or pulsar gtr. Or I could keep my civic and use that extra 4/5 thousand to do something with my car. Although unlike a rhd import I know i will not get much of the $$ i will throw into the civic back if i ever sell it, basically my hatch has full skunk2 coilovers (to be installed) and a skunk2 short shift kit already and gauge cluster swap. next it would need some type of motor/and or (turbo build up on some type of d series swap), and at least a new set of summer rubber/wheels but i can find that stuff cheap on another alberta import forum for my local area actually there are turbo's/boost controllers all that stuff there not to mention some rhd's people already have for sale privately. Here are some of the imports examples i could be looking at if i sell the civic :

http://www.jdmcalgary.ca/

http://jdmconnection.ca/?page_id=121

Now i know some of these imports will need a bit of maintainence but alot of them are actually in new shape/condition when they arrive and especially privately owned cars. \my civic has a bit of rust on each side of the 1/4 panels but thats it/interior is clean. I should mention that i plan on buying an OLD truck for hauling my atv around so nothing fancy but will have ac and could be used as a dd as long as gas prices stay down lol.

rust pics: sorry for the links but im short on time lol

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00396.jpg

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00401.jpg

interior/exterior from July, not much has changed a few chips and small dings but it wouldn't be a project with the purpose of looking good I want a quick/handling car with little giving it away besides some basic nice wheels of some type

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00406.jpg

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00403.jpg

What do you think? What would be more reasonable. I dont have a ton of extra $$ but I do have this money set aside for such a project/toy and do have a solid job right now so if all is the same by summer I will have enough $ for either choice and would probally enjoy each, im not sure if I could do a swap myself or if I would have the time but anything else I can do and have a friend that could swap for me for less $$ sorry for the long *** post as well

Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I vote sell the civic and find another 180sx...

...then pull the cadet or pirate motor (essarrrrrr) out of it, swap in an rb26dett with an rb25 transmission in (awd on a 180/240? Eww), and sell the original motor to me

After all, you aren't going to let my friend with a 240 one-up you? He's doing the rb26dett/rb25 trans swap this summer (thanks to two people... me, for pushing the swap on him, and my friend Barney for buying an R34 GTR and saying he doesn't want the motor)... if you do the same with a 180, you'll still be better than him since you'd have rhd

Old 03-29-2009, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

I vote to keep your ride because of all the parts you have.........but if you have a crush on a RHD, Then i would sell your civic, keep the parts and look for a 95 SIR-S Very rare civic.
It has all power, A/C and a 170hbhp b16

Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I vote sell the civic and find another 180sx...

...then pull the cadet or pirate motor (essarrrrrr) out of it, swap in an rb26dett with an rb25 transmission in (awd on a 180/240? Eww), and sell the original motor to me

After all, you aren't going to let my friend with a 240 one-up you? He's doing the rb26dett/rb25 trans swap this summer (thanks to two people... me, for pushing the swap on him, and my friend Barney for buying an R34 GTR and saying he doesn't want the motor)... if you do the same with a 180, you'll still be better than him since you'd have rhd
lol I think I am going to sell the civic and get into another 180sx or a silivia (same as a 180sx except for looks) or possibly just go for an r32 skyline if I can afford one. lol if i did a rb swap (which I have seriously considered before) I would definitely give you a deal on the low km sr or ca that would come out of the car :P. I wont let your friend one-up me after the rb swap mabey Ill throw in a bigger turbo as well/front mount couple other goodies lol. In all seriousness I will have to change the timing belt and get the brakes done before selling the civic but thats only a couple hundred bucks or so. Seriously think I should toss the civic Chris? Believe me I would love to have a rhd 180 or silvia etc with turbo and ac its like a dream lol. I really like the rx7's too but am a bit afraid of problems with the motor later on come on guys if you dont post anything at least throw in a quick vote on the poll it does help! if I sell the civic should i put everything to stock?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by SPLAT
I vote to keep your ride because of all the parts you have.........but if you have a crush on a RHD, Then i would sell your civic, keep the parts and look for a 95 SIR-S Very rare civic.
It has all power, A/C and a 170hbhp b16
Hey Splat that is a good idea too really good actually, because if I can sell mine, take the parts off and transfer them to a basically oem SIR-S then I would already be on my way, nice civic hatch, rhd, nice motor to work with, skunk2 coilovers and short shifter sounds pretty good so far will consider this as well now and \ive got oem shocks/springs to put back on my civic

Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Cereal Admin

You know how much I love the 240sx/180sx

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the civic and get one... but I don't know how attached to the civic you are. If you're pretty attached to it, I'd say keep it. If not, I say go with the 180sx... personally, I'm not a fan of the Silvia S13... I don't like the headlights lol. Also, an R32 would be bada**

Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 PM
HCF Member

lol yes I think I can say the same for the both of us on the 180/240 Thats the only problem for me is that my civic has ran problem free over the last 2 years 2 months aprrox. and I have driven it threw 2 summers so its a bit hard to let it go in the way. for the longest time i wanted to do something with it but now it seems that since i bought the 180sx last summer I need to have turbo performance lol and I did enjoy the rwd as well. Some things with the civic that I would need to touch up to sell is probally a timing belt change, new break pads front/rear and thats it really. Im not sure how the car being previously stolen moight affect my sale, although all they did was take the stereo equipment the car runs good still. If I can sell it that would be an excellent boost to my fund for a import. I think I would get a 180sx as they seem pretty solid, are alot of fun to drive I really like skylines to but they are a dime a dozen here as far as imports go (not r32's but gts type m/t's r32's are rare around here and are quite expensive) like i said i like the rx7 but they seem troublesome. Chris check out this nice local private 180 for sale looks pretty nice/clean and has a front mount on it already those are the local forum by the way

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255708/fs...an-180sx-mint/
another one
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/258038/fs...-nissan-180sx/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255496/fs...-skyline-gt-r/

Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Screw Kentucky, I'm moving to Calgary when I graduate

Seriously, I think I might look for a 180sx or a r32 after I graduate... probably a 180 so I can DD it... I wouldn't feel safe DD'ing an r32... I have a feeling a skyline might attract thieves lol

(and my vote still goes for the 180sx)

Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

your probally right about the skyline attracting thieves, plus 180sx are still fairly rare around calgary you just have to know where to look for the private ones I actually really like that first one i posted, looks pretty nice, once i start working (first day at new job on April 1st!) im going to just save until around June and then buy one similar possibly off this site from another user. Should be pretty sweet now I just have to prep my civic for selling and get it sold, I might by my dad's old 1999 Hyundai sonata lol for a dd and just get a tiny trailer to haul my atv on. hey chris do you know in the project section can you post any motor project or just cars? Im planning on building up my quad for some serious fun/speed (its a 2001 yamaha warrior, I am sending my top end down to California to get the piston and sleeve bored out stroker style for a massive power gain, I figure if I put mabey 1200 into the quad it should be pretty competitive with the newer raptor's, yfz etc. ) I would like to put that project somewhere on here if possible

Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd put in either Sights & Sounds or OT... Technically, the Project section is supposed to be civic-only projects... I'm not really sure how I managed to get a mustang project in there lol

Quick Reply: Upcoming project, need some opinions on what to do $$