General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Viynl Dye

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Viynl Dye

O.k. I was wondering what type of viynl dye I should get to dye my dash black and where I can get it any info would be great.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Viynl Dye

I would suggest first for you to try and find a genuine black dash from a scrap yard or a parts car.

If that doesn't work, which it probably won't, you can proceed to dye the vinyl ONLY if you are up to it.

Before I get into the dye itself, you have two options of dying it. You can dye it with the dash in the car, or you can remove the dash and dye it elsewhere.
*Bare in mind that you can only dye the vinyl and any plastic pieces must be painted (plastic spray paint).
I decided to remove my dash in order to be sure I didn't leave streaks and it's easier to mask off the plastic/vinyl parts when painting/dying.

Here's the thread with my dash removal and painting/dying stuff: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_452077/tm.htm

Okay, now for the paint/dye...

...I used VHT vinyl dye that I bought from summitracing.com . You can get it other places I'm sure but I didn't bother to search long. I used 3-4 cans for the dash. Also, you should get the VHT vinyl prep spray too!!
For any plastic I always use Krylon plastic spray paint. It always turns out great and lasts a long time.

For final pictures, check my photo gallery. And know that I did this for a 2-3 year temporary job until I find a genuine black dash that is in great condition.

Also, this takes a crap ton of time so plan accordingly. If you have any questions, ask away.