General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

vtec ? why doesnt it prowdly show itself ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Default vtec ? why doesnt it prowdly show itself ?

i read the thread above about what kind of engine i have. and i searched it and i currently have ..

96-00 1.6 L D16Y8 (Civic) EX VTEC

the question is ...

why do some engines in some pictures have the valve cover that says honda v-tec? and how come some dont ?

is that just an after market part or what?

and if it is. where can i find it ?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: vtec ? why doesnt it prowdly show itself ?

you do have vtec, I dont know why some say it and some dont but I have the same engine and I know it has vtec but doesnt say it

Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM

yea i have the same engine as well and mine doesnt say vtec but i noe i have it...an intake surley helps distinguishing tht

-JP

Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM

explain that streetglow ...

you said an intake surely helps distinguishing it? i dont get it.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 PM

You can hear it better with an intake.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jimbolion

i read the thread above about what kind of engine i have. and i searched it and i currently have ..

96-00 1.6 L D16Y8 (Civic) EX VTEC

the question is ...

why do some engines in some pictures have the valve cover that says honda v-tec? and how come some dont ?

is that just an after market part or what?

and if it is. where can i find it ?
look around ebay if you want a valve cover that says vtec on it. i seen a couple of them last week. any d-series vtec valve cover will work for your engine
D-SERIES VTEC VALVE COVER

another vtec valve cover

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: MccM

You can hear it better with an intake.
BINGO!! it also make ur engine sound lyk it has more *****

-JP

Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 PM

Also, understand that there are many different forms of VTEC. It's most known for what it can to do improve power but that's not always the case. My '06 Civic EX sedan has VTEC but it's design is to help improve fuel economy, not overall performance, and it's only active under a finite set of circumstances. The rocker cover on my car is not labeled VTEC.

Besides, not all Honda engines are VTEC equipped.

FWIW!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM

yea v-tec helps with both fuel economy at lower RPMS and preformance at higher RPMS...a reli good concept i might add

-JP

Old 09-22-2006, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: StreetGlow_ciVic

yea v-tec helps with both fuel economy at lower RPMS and preformance at higher RPMS...a reli good concept i might add

-JP
True, but in the case of the new '06 1.8L Civic engine, Honda has really biased the VTEC towards the economy side of the equation. They've got a sticky link at the top of the "General Civic Talk" area that will lead you to a video on the '06 1.8L engine. It's pretty intersting, what they've tried to do. My car has, so far, been getting at to slightly better than the 30 mpg EPA rating for city driving. I've been averaging in the mid 31's with a high tank of 32.7 mpg. The car's got just over 3k miles on it now and I can tell the engine is just starting to limber up. I'm hoping the fuel economy will improve as time goes on. We'll see!

Also, FYI, that video link I posted above is kind of slow. I'm on a Road Runner high speed internet connection and rarely have any issues with streaming video but this one is slower than dirt. I can only assume that the problem is on their side, or on whatever it is that's between us. Anyway, it's about a 10 minute presentation but it takes me between 10 and 15 minutes for it to download. Once it's fully downloaded, I can watch it straight through, no problems but if you choose to look at it, be prepared to be patient.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: vtec ? why doesnt it prowdly show itself ?