General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

VTEC's Mystery unsolved till now

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Default VTEC's Mystery unsolved till now

Hi Guys, I have civic 2001, 1498cc, automatic and sure it's got VTEC since I can see the solenoid thing. I have a couple of questions though.

1. I am not really sure about my engine rating, i.e how much HP it gives out from stock.
2. Regarding the VTEC. What particular conditions does it need to kick in. I did a 0-60miles/h run on sports mode is a little less than 8.5 seconds. but haven't really heard anything particular regarding VTEC as some people say it's kind of a kick in, and even on vids on youtube you actually hear the kick in.

How do i identify when VTEC kicks in, That civic accelerates pretty well and has a really good torque power. but i would really like to know under what conditions vtec is activated so I can plan on somewhere I can test this.

DO note that where i live i.e in Mauritius, we do not have private circuits where you can bring in your car for a thrill drive or dyno where you can test your car's HP. I heard there's a dyno somewhere on the island but it's still a myth lol.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM
HCF Member

if you look to the left of your exhaust manifold, on the engine block, you'll see a code. it probably starts with D15

I stole this pic.

that shows the location. Google the code you find there.

single cam VTEC motors don't have much oomph. if you install a short ram intake, or a cold air intake, you'll hear the crossover. it isn't that noticeable, even when I had a D16y8 (which is rated at 127hp) I couldn't feel the crossover but I could hear it. Now I've got a B16a2 which is dual cam, and you can feel and hear it.