General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto

Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 AM
HCF Member
Default Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto

Well as gas prices go up I wanted to get a good car with good gas mileage. Im 17 and this will be my first car. For price and fuel mileage I wanted a honda civic 2001 coupe.
Its not a bad looking car. I dont plan to go all out like some here im just looking for a good car that looks good from stock. This car looked the best to me for my price range and got the best mileage of any car around too!

Im 6'2" and I was able to fit in the back seat with my dad(6 foot or so) in the front seat with it all the way foward. It was tight but no tigher than our dodge ram 3500 truck with extended cab(2 door)

Head room was not so good back there but with a little possitioning im sure I could manage. I have trouble finding seats that support my legs(most just catch my rear and dont touch my legs making me get very sore) like when riding(not driving) and the little civic had more support than our isuzu rodeo does.

I dont plan to have a lot of people in the car all the time. If needed 4 adults should be able to fit in and get around easily. Not as easy as a 4 door but okay because I got in and out of there easy enough.

I wanted a SUV or a diesel truck but with fuel so high im getting a car. I dont like cars like I do SUVS and trucks. In a accident those thin doors just dont do a good job as far as protection goes. In a suv or truck its my legs that get hit not ALL of me like in a car. Guess I better drive safe then lol.

Anyways. Im looking around now for a car.

Should I get a manual or a auto?

I dont like the thought of having to shift constantly up and down. I drive the atv a lot on the farm but its a AUTO clutch so I just shift up and down and dont have to push in a clutch. Why come cars cant be this way I dont know. Anyone?

Well also the thing about rolling into someone when starting off and killing engines dont seem to fun. Driving the big Truck on the farm here with a clutch and me killing the engine is not fun. Well I look foward to your opinions.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto

Id go with a manual. Shifting is fun, Ill probably never buy an auto car again. Once you learn how and really get the clutch figured out you'll like it too.

I dont like the thought of having to shift constantly up and down. I drive the atv a lot on the farm but its a AUTO clutch so I just shift up and down and dont have to push in a clutch. Why come cars cant be this way I dont know. Anyone?
They do have that feature (sp?) its called tip-tronic.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 AM
HCF Member
Default reply

No I mean no clutch at all like they have on the ATVS a auto clutch.
Just simply shift up and down.
Why would you go for a manual over a auto?

Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: reply

Manual>Auto because you have way more control over what your car does with Manual. (in a nutshell)

Old 06-26-2006, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

Well what about starting and stopping and such? Like starting from a hill is it hard? I have never driven a little manual car but the big trucks you have to add a lot of throttle when taking off on a hill and it jerks and such.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

its not that bad, at all. Definitely something you get used to almost right away. Plus, Civic transmissions are pretty forgiving.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:52 PM

I have no problems going up hill with my 96 Civic EX couple with manual transmission. Don't even have to gas it too much either. There is enough torque to get you up the hill. I guess as long as you know how to drive a manual, you will have no problems. Just bought my car about 2 weeks ago and loving it. Save a lot on gas compared to my Navigator and Maxima. lol!

2004 Navigator to fill up from empty (91+ octane) = $90
2005 Maxima to fill up from empty (91+ octane) = $60
1996 Civic to fill up from empty (87+ octane) = $30

The prices are approximates but very close to actual.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

Manual. Auto trannys suck, they have more moving parts, more expensive to work on, shorter life span, more drivetrain power loss, and they're just NO FUN.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

So it doesnt roll backwards badly on a steep hill like at a stop sign or red light? I was worried of getting one and going to start letting off the brake and wam...smack somebodies bumper. I read the small manuals are easy to drive but have never driven one. I am used to manuals though.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

Not if you learn how to drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto