General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

washing in the winter time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Default washing in the winter time

i have a question about caring for your ride in the winter. i want to wash my car so bad cause the winter is making it look ugly, however, i don't want the water to just end up freezing to my car. isn't that bad for the paint?

any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: washing in the winter time

If you can wash it indoors, and then Shammy it, or at least use a wiper to wipe the water off, but i don't think it is bad for your paint, the thing i hate the most is brushing the snow off my car

Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: my ocean gia
isn't that bad for the paint?
It won't hurt the paint at all. Just make sure you don't spray it into the door locks, and wipe any moisture from between the door and the body so your doors won't freeze closed.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 AM

good point...lol. i can just see myself freezing my doors/locks shut at the car wash.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 AM

When I wash my car, I spray it on an angle at the locks so that the pressure doesn't force the water into them.
Then I take some wipes and wipe the moisture from the inside of the doors and on the jambs.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

That's a good idea. You can also do it when the car is warmed up and you're planning on driving for a little while so it stays warm, I always wash mine before long trips (if the roads aren't bad enough to make it just as dirty again.)

Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

LazerWash...

Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: drbyers
LazerWash...
Last time I saw someone get their ride lazerwashed was on Star Wars, and it cut right through the hull. (bad for the paint too)

Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

i washed my car for the first time yesterday since it started getting crappy out in one of thos bays that you pay and do it yourself..$4 !! it cost me and i got hardly anything out of it, i got to find a new place..i dont want to use my hose because its to cold out

and just a comment, i was having a conversation with some fellows and one guy sead wash it all the time to get the salt off and what not..the other guy sead not to wash it because the water reacts with the salt and will create rust faster...what do u guys think?

Old 12-11-2005, 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

i washed my car for the first time yesterday since it started getting crappy out in one of thos bays that you pay and do it yourself..$4 !! it cost me and i got hardly anything out of it, i got to find a new place..i dont want to use my hose because its to cold out

and just a comment, i was having a conversation with some fellows and one guy sead wash it all the time to get the salt off and what not..the other guy sead not to wash it because the water reacts with the salt and will create rust faster...what do u guys think?

Here its 3 bucks min deposit and you get 4 minutes. I use 3 bucks first to totally high pressure soap my car to blast any salt/debris off my car. I also blast my suspension/coilovers/wheel wells at this time. When that's over I break out the mit and start soaping. I go easy on the soap but enough to get it sudsy. Going easy makes it easier to wash off for cheaper. Once I'm done this I go put 3 more bucks in and use high pressure rise to blow the soap off. With a minute or 2 to spare I switch to the spot free rinse. This really works. All it is is purified water but it leaves no spots. Even though I "spot free rinsed" it I use a water blade to get rid of the water. I also use microfiber towels. I hate shammy's. This works well. I never have freezing problems. A good coin-op car wash is a good find.

Jeff

Quick Reply: washing in the winter time