General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Water Injection: 6% Gas Savings and More Power - For As Little As $3.72

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Default Water Injection: 6% Gas Savings and More Power - For As Little As $3.72

so i was browsing the net and found this:
let me know what you guys think... I'm sorry for the long read but i thought it was intresting

Installing a hydro-atomization system on your car -- a modification which adds damp air to the engine's intake mixture and produces a variety of benefits -- involves little more than the purchase of a three-inlet valve (such as a fish tank's air regulator), an aquarium air stone, five feet of 1/8" clear tubing, and a strong plastic bottle ... plus about 15 minutes of under-the-hood tinkering.

When MOTHER's mechanics tackled the job, they were able to pick up all of the necessary pieces -- with the exception of the $1.98 brass valve -- at a local pet shop for only $1.74. The boys then simply drove around the corner and recycled a photochemical bottle from a trash bin behind a photo shop, stopped by a nearby plumbing supply store to pick up the three-way valve, and returned to the research center to actually install the parts, which took just a shade over ten minutes.

You can begin your installation by splicing the valve into one of the vacuum lines which comes from the base of the carburetor. (In many cars the distributor advance hose would be the best choice for valve-insertion. However, the Honda Civic CVCC that MOTHER operated on has a very convenient 1/4" vacuum line running to a fresh air valve, so MOTHER's crew tapped into that hose with their makeshift control.)

Next, securely suspend the liquid-containing bottle in the engine compartment. (In this case our research team fabricated a holder from an old coat hanger and bolted the assembly to an existing fastener on the left wheel well of the Honda.) Once your tank is in position, drill two 1/8" holes in the top of the container, one on each side of the cap. Then run a suitable length of the 1/8" hose from the remaining outlet on the three-way valve to one of the 1/8" openings, and allow 1/2 " of the tubing to enter the reservoir.

Now take the rest of your 1/8" hose, insert it through the unoccupied 1/8" hole, attach the air stone to the inside end of this line, and slide the aerator and tube into the bottle until it just touches bottom. The leftover 1/8" line -- which protrudes from the container -- should be snipped off to about three inches in length.

Finally, fill the reservoir -- to about an inch from the top -- with a solution of four parts water to one part alcohol (the latter keeps the water from freezing in winter), start your motor, let it warm up, and then adjust the valve until a gentle bubbling comes from the air stone. Once that's done, it's time for a test drive!

MOTHER's researchers noted an immediate improvement in low-RPM power which helped the Honda to accelerate up hills that had previously required a downshift -- and a significant reduction in vibration. Better yet -- after we ran three tanks of gas (and a quart of fluid) through the engine -- the Civic's gas mileage jumped from 32 to 34 MPG. Plus, much to the auto owner's surprise, water injection cured a longstanding cold weather starting problem. In fact, the driver claims that the modification "paid for itself" with that starting improvement alone ... and that, in his opinion, the power gain and gas savings are icing on the cake!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Water Injection: 6% Gas Savings and More Power - For As Little As $3.72

Cools the intake charge, cleans carbon deposits from the cylinders... but there isn't one going on my car.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Water Injection: 6% Gas Savings and More Power - For As Little As $3.72

haha yeh i wouldnt install it, as it only saves a few MPG, and it increases power?? i wasnt to convinced about that part
the whole part of its a total bodge job, and the whole water + engine thing i didnt like the sound of
any more opinions?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

Same here. If it involves water and intake, I say "no way jose!" I am interested in how it does in fact improve lower RPMs? Why didn't they use a friggin' dyno?!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

It's an old school trick to trickle water through the carburator to basically steam clean the carbon out of the engine.
I just finished doing this on my 98 GMC sierra with 311k on the odo. all i did is unhook my PCV vacuum line
put a cup of distilled water up to the line with the engine running (and at operating temperatures as well) kept my RPM's
roughly within the 2500-3000 range and started to let the vacuum suck the water up.
I revved the engine to keep it from stalling because than i would have a whole new batch of problems to deal with.
After going through a little over a liter of water, my engine idles smoother, revs faster and accelerates better.
It is a little freaky putting water into your engine, but it worked for me and i am very pleased with what is a basically
free engine cleaner. Just do it at your own risk and don't get mad at me if you screw it up.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 AM

when water heats and becomes a vapor, it strengthens combustion. you ever hold a candle over boiling water? the flame becomes bigger. that's because water is hydrogen and oxygen (both flammable) and when it becomes gaseous, it's combustible properties become present.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you could get the same result from runing some seafoam thru your gas tank and vacume line!

buy it at most autoparts stores my dads done that water thru carb before to clean the motor BUT i just dont wanna try that.LOL
ill stick to my seafoam....

Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

you could get the same result from runing some seafoam thru your gas tank and vacume line!

buy it at most autoparts stores my dads done that water thru carb before to clean the motor BUT i just dont wanna try that.LOL
ill stick to my seafoam....
lol ditto !

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

It's an old school trick to trickle water through the carburator to basically steam clean the carbon out of the engine.
I just finished doing this on my 98 GMC sierra with 311k on the odo. all i did is unhook my PCV vacuum line
put a cup of distilled water up to the line with the engine running (and at operating temperatures as well) kept my RPM's
roughly within the 2500-3000 range and started to let the vacuum suck the water up.
I revved the engine to keep it from stalling because than i would have a whole new batch of problems to deal with.
After going through a little over a liter of water, my engine idles smoother, revs faster and accelerates better.
It is a little freaky putting water into your engine, but it worked for me and i am very pleased with what is a basically
free engine cleaner. Just do it at your own risk and don't get mad at me if you screw it up.
I wouldn't recommend this practice to the average Joe simply because if you dumped too much water in too quickly, you could easily hydro-lock your engine... and possible bend the rods, valves, etc.

Water doesn't compress - and with enough of it, the engine parts will.

Others mentioned Sea-Foam - which is a much better alternative, because it is flammable and will compress.

The water-injection idea could possibly work, if done properly. But again, I wouldn't recommend it to the average Joe because if something weren't done correctly, buh-bye engine.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

So what would happen if you turn the car off? would the water/alcohol mix still dribble into the intake? Or would it do nothing since the vacuum line will not be pulling on it? Either way, i have sea-foamed and i will stick to that... speaking of which, i need to do pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Water Injection: 6% Gas Savings and More Power - For As Little As $3.72