General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.
View Poll Results: Carbon Fiber Hood or Shocks/Struts and lowering springs?
Carbon Fiber Hood
10.00%
Suspension
90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

what to get next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
good setup. how much you getting them for and where? think i might want to do the same but i kind of still want to go with tein s-techs. still debating. let us know how it rides and post some pics when you got them installed
I have the same setup he just bought and I can give you an opinion if you want.

The shocks are great, they adjust to 4 different stiffness settings, which is great because if you ever take it to the strip, just turn them up to 4, it takes like 1 minute to change all 4 shocks settings.

The springs are a little on the stiff side for springs and are kinda bumpy over bumps in the road, but smooth over smooth roads. Though if you turn your shocks down to "1," they ride extremely smooth over everything. They have great handling around corners. I don't have mine turned to "1" because I have 17" rims and will rub the top of the wheelwells over bumps if they're too soft, which is also contributing to the somewhat bumpy ride. With 16's or 15's or even smaller, the ride should be comfortable no problem and I recommend them fully. They are great springs. Basically, the bumpy ride is the 17" rims' fault, not the springs' fault.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

I was going to get tein since they were a little cheaper, but I found some negativity towards them when paired with kyb or anything else.

but I'm using MSN live.com search that gets me 30% cashback on ebay purchases with buy it now, using paypal.

springs are $190, but $145 after I get 30% cashback in 2 months
agx shocks were $336, but I'll get back $96 in two months.

the cashback only applies to the item price and not combined with shipping. So if you're going to buy something, request the seller offer the item to you with free shipping and tack it on to the item price.

the shocks are basically an early bday/christmas gift from parents and I bought myself an early bday gift a few days ago(apexi ws2 exhaust and magnaflow high flow direct fit cat)

Last edited by inthezoneac; 10-14-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

thanks trust, how much did the setup run you? would you recommend these over the tein s-tech? also to lower my car what would i need besides the springs and shocks?

Last edited by sfazngiants; 10-14-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

suspension.....performance before parts

Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

you may want to look into getting camber kits at the same time. Ingalls and Skunk2 both make good quality kits. I have the Skunk2 Pro Series + camber kits in both front and rear. and they give you plenty of adjustments. They make the tuner series which are pretty affordable. I think the fronts are around 150 and they only make one type of rear kits that you can get for about 150. or get the Ingalls rear for around 100.

With that big of a drop its kinda of at the edge of needing them or not needing them. The way that I look at it is its better to just spend a little extra money now to guarantee that you will be able to get your alignment set right.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
thanks addiction, how much did the setup run you? would you recommend these over the tein s-tech? also to lower my car what would i need besides the springs and shocks?
i'm guessing you meant me, addiction hasn't posted in this thread. lol

anyway, i recommend them over the s-techs. The H&R Sport Springs are more performance oriented while the s-techs are more for just lowering it than actual performance (don't get me wrong, s-techs are still nice).

It cost me 180 shipped on ebay for the springs, and 330 shipped for the struts. That was about a year ago. Now, it's like 200 shipped for all 4 springs, and almost 390 (i think) shipped for all 4 shocks.

You don't really need anything else. However, I would recommend getting the KYB dust boots off tirerack.com, because if you don't get them you'll have to cut the stock ones which can be a PITA. If you don't cut them, the metal will rub the shock and squeak over bumps. The KYB ones are ribbed and compress with the shock, an overall better design. They're like $14 a piece (so you need 4 obviously) but they're well worth it. You won't regret buying those.

For improved handling later down the road, if you don't have them already, get some front and rear upper strut bars. I'd just get generic ebay ones, they do the job. (about $50 shipped for both)

Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
you may want to look into getting camber kits at the same time. Ingalls and Skunk2 both make good quality kits. I have the Skunk2 Pro Series + camber kits in both front and rear. and they give you plenty of adjustments. They make the tuner series which are pretty affordable. I think the fronts are around 150 and they only make one type of rear kits that you can get for about 150. or get the Ingalls rear for around 100.

With that big of a drop its kinda of at the edge of needing them or not needing them. The way that I look at it is its better to just spend a little extra money now to guarantee that you will be able to get your alignment set right.
You don't need a camber kit with this setup. It doesn't throw the camber far enough negative to cause premature tire wear. Plus, a little negative camber will help with handling.
This setup only gives you a tiny bit of negative camber. It's noticeable, but barely. Just make sure you go get an alignment, because you definitely want to get your toe to be straight.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You don't really need anything else. However, I would recommend getting the KYB dust boots off tirerack.com, because if you don't get them you'll have to cut the stock ones which can be a PITA. If you don't cut them, the metal will rub the shock and squeak over bumps. The KYB ones are ribbed and compress with the shock, an overall better design. They're like $14 a piece (so you need 4 obviously) but they're well worth it. You won't regret buying those.
The rear shocks actually come with new bump stops and dust covers (at least mine did and I have AGXs for 96-00 civics), so you would only need 2 of the KYB boots. And I will agree to get these. I originally did not get them and used my stock bump stops and dust boots. The dust boots are fine, but stock bump stops won't last long, and I just ordered 2 of these for my front shocks and will be putting them on tomorrow

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
The rear shocks actually come with new bump stops and dust covers (at least mine did and I have AGXs for 96-00 civics), so you would only need 2 of the KYB boots. And I will agree to get these. I originally did not get them and used my stock bump stops and dust boots. The dust boots are fine, but stock bump stops won't last long, and I just ordered 2 of these for my front shocks and will be putting them on tomorrow
oh alright. mine didn't come with the dust covers, so i guess he should just wait until he gets the shocks in the mail to determine how many he needs

Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

cool guys thanks for the info. from trust's post i think i will get this set up. i will wait until inthezoneac give his review before i start ordering. any pics of the drop of this setup trust or sigracer?

inthezoneac , make sure to grab some pics when you get them installed, some before and after pics would be good

Quick Reply: what to get next?