General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What happens to my car if the Struts are broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
HCF Member
Default What happens to my car if the Struts are broken?

I'm not sure if it's the rear structs or the front rotater arm but my car makes a little noise when i go down a little bump slowly and it sounds like if something in the suspension is broken. What happens if one of these are broken or about to break and i don't fix it. See i just bought my car and if i have to do too much i bascally should just sell it till i find a better car. According to Firestone i need to replace both the rear structs which each one is like $150 each plus labor and according to Honda i need to do one of the front rotator arms.

Can someone help me out with this....

Last edited by WILMER007; 12-30-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

Well, a blown strut will make your car bouncy because the fluid that dampens the cars motions has probably leaked out. If that's the case, it's not extremely urgent, although you shouldn't let it go too long. The front "rotator" arm might be referring to the LCA, which probably needs a new compliance bushing.

However without knowing the exact issue, I wouldn't take anyone's word on here (myself included), because the issues could be far more urgent that I've made it to seem.

I would have a reputable shop check both of those things and see what they say.

Zach

Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

Your absolutely right the Control Arm, my bad, i should know that because i had that fixed once on my Accord it was a typo. However i am in a bit of a jam right now because this is the problem..

I bought the car with maintenance records, in one of the records somebody wrote with a pen Control Arm and i think that's not it because, my Accord was shaking like a Mother and it was really annoying to drive and so i replaced the Control Arm and the problem went away.

This car however does not shake or anything at all, it just makes a Bump noise (can't really tell if it's from the front or back) whenever i go down a little slope slowly. I'm thinking maybe it's the structs and Firestone says it's the Rear Structs and they did not mention the Control Arm in the Estimate or when i asked the mechanic. However Honda said the Right Control Arm was cracked. I'm gonna be getting more maintenance records tommorrow from goodyear which is where the previous owner took the car for oil changes and stuff, and let's see if they wrote the Control Arm in there or not and weither it was fixed or not.

BTW you mentioned LCA and i was curious are you sure when you say LCA meaning Left Control Arm? Because my Accord had the Right Control Arm damaged and i bought the Right Control Arm and saw the part with my own eyes, and the problem went away. So if you referring to Left Control Arm each front tire has it's own Control Arm.

Last edited by WILMER007; 12-30-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

If Honda is telling you your controll arm is cracked - your going to want to tend to that quite quickly. No sense playing around with parts that keep your tires in place, and you aimed in a straight line. Would hate to hear it broke, and your car slammed into a wall. That would be Honda abuse. If in doubt - get on your back, and inspect yourself. But I'm pretty sure Honda wouldn't lie about such problem.

If a shop is saying your struts are out - you can probably go a little while like that. I'd replace as soon as I could afford them though.

This bump noise needs more details to be able to figure out what it is. If this problem happens a lot - you should have a buddy ride with you. Keep making the car make the sound - and find where its coming from. That will make finding the issue and fixing it way faster. Any kinda noise like that simply is not a good thing.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Hmm guess i'll look at the Control Arm on the weekend when me and my dad take off the front tires to inspect the brakes. Heres the thing i've got alot of stuff that i supposedly have to do to the car, i would just be better off selling the car and going for another one then. The struct/control arm was fine when i test drove it as i didn't hear a thing. The struct thing is rare only a slope at work but were in the process of moving so i might not even hear that again for while. I've got money to do it, i'm just you know in shock with having to spend so much. As to repairs heres a current list of what i supposedly have to do to the car without labor charges.

New Tires : $300
Timing Belt Kit: $200
Rear Structs: $286
Oil Pan Gasket: $30
Front Brakes: $45
Control Arm = $100 (not sure)

Heres a summary of what i've spent so far

Car = $4800
Mobil 1 0W-20 Oil = 41.94
Mobil 1 Oil Filter = $9.99
Spark Plugs= $ 9.96
Air Filter = $42
Corrison on Roof Repaired = $300
Tag & Title Tranfer = $305

Total Cost = 6466.89

Do u see where i'm getting at? And that's not counting labor.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

Oh, trust me, I know where your comming from. Bought my civic for a grand and have already put three into it - and you can't tell. It still needs a new motor, shocks all around, and a brake job.

But the best thing about these little cars is how easy they are to work on. Nothing that you've listed is hard to do. I've done them all, except for the timing belt. That I personally would take to a shop.
As for your tires - if you are willing - go to a used tire shop. Its what I have done for a while. $25 can actually get you a nice tire. I've still got two used tires on my car, and you'd swear I bought them new.
Just worry about the parts that need attention right now, and fix them. You'd be surprised how long your car can run with things that are bad. I drove my hatch for a year with a spinning clutch, a ring that was blowing < soo much white smoke out the rear you'd swear I was James Bond >, busted CV joints, Destroyed shocks, and similar issues. I just kept a good eye on what was breaking, and how badly. Wehn I felt something needed attention more than the rest- i fixed it.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

Well my 2nd cousin has my car's identical twin broter (same color and everything), he's an expert at this car and he can help me on some stuff i just don't wanna ask him for help coming to my house and helping me you know. Over the phone stuff is ok. The tires i got can probably last me for about 3 months or so. I drive about 10 miles each way to work. brakes i can do myself and the structs and control arm i have no idea how to do that and my dad probably wouldn't know how to do it either so bascially i'm screwed.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

When you get ready for such installs, come to the forum. I'm sure RonJ would have a great diagram for ya. He's always had such useful stuff when I've needed it. All the guys on here are pretty good and will tell you how to do it. There's also some books you can get at Autozone or any of the other guy's stores. They come in handy.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Question: Is the car paid off? You paid $4800 for it, but is that all done now? If so, to me anything is worth having a car that's paid off. Sure, you'll have to do maintenence: tires wear out, spark plugs wear out, gaskets wear out. Timing belts wear out, but not very often. You do that once every 70K-100K miles and it's over, you know it's good to go.

That car is an investment. You have to do a few things to protect that investment so it will last as long as possible. The Honda name goes a long way, but maintenence will make it go further. If you've got a cracked lower control arm, fix it! That'll sure beat having to do body repair if the arm breaks and you slam into a tree or another car. Struts will be noisy and bouncy, speed bumps will be painful, but they'll need to be replaced too if you plan on keeping this car for awhile.

And Punisher is right, come to the forum. We have all kinds of resources to help you and people who are willing to talk you through it.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

Yes the car is paid off.

And thank you for your help guys i appreciate it now can you guys point me to a how to on structs and control arm for 2001 Civic EX?

Quick Reply: What happens to my car if the Struts are broken?