General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What other models can you use a D16y8 for

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Default RE: What other models can you use a D16y8 for

another issue in making a selection is the fact that the car not only has a good engine w/ headers,intake and a performance chip but it also has a suspension kit and great tires and rims and i would like to have the option of swapping them out as well Heres some pics

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/honda003.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/honda001.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/honda002.jpg

The air bag is deployed, the rear axle is broken , and the transaxle is also broken I figure about 2k to fix it if i do the work
It seems if I can get an older model with a clean body for less, it would be so much easier .

Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

holy crap...did he drive over a boulder? looks like the underside of that car took one hell of a beating.

I think that intake might be toast if it's a CAI. Also, check the headers and exhaust for cracks, dents, and breaks. I don't know what kind of suspension you've got on there, but if it's reasonably expensive aftermarket, it would be worth it 100% to pull it all off and check it to make sure it's not fukt. Most of that suspension is reusable. The CAI (if it's not killed) or SRI are definately reusable I guess depending on the application).

Tell us a little more about that performance chip, and someone here can tell you all about those...

If you're selling any of the parts from that coupe, go ahead and post them on the private for sale column here on HCF.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM

Frankly i should have beat him after he did this,apparently its against the law.

Actually he was passing another car and clipped the front quarter, this popped the airbag and sent him into a spin which landed him against an embankment. the sudden stop against the embankment or the sideways drag from the spin is what tore up the front and rear axle. or something like that. No boulders.

The chip is a venom although i couldn't tell you which one. the wheels are konig w/ nitto tires, the apex intake is off the car for now and the skunk suspension seems fine but....I'd have to get under there and check ( same with the exhaust although it doesn't seem any louder).. Funny but i paid $600 for the car w/ a blown motor. Everything else was included.
I had just had a motor put in although the transaxle input shaft was really starting to rattle even before the accident. The car is actually up for sale locally on craigslist but if i can't do anything with it there, plan B is to (as mentioned) get an older civic and go from there.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

That's one heck of a steal for some of those atermarket parts. Even with a blown motor. So you're telling me that you had to swap a D16Y8 into it already, and now that motor might be going to a third car? Holy hell. Not to be a jerk or anything, but I'd buy that kid a busted a$$ Geo. If he wants to drive like a maniac, then he can drive a crap-car.

Dude, if you can fix that car for 2k, go for it. Just be sure and check the frame for damage too.

If you're intersted in selling any of those performance parts, def let us know. BTW, what kind of exhaust did/does it have?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM

You get deals like that when someone is hard up and desperate for money,

Exaust is an apex, ( intake is an Aem) but seriously I do need a suggestion as to which car will be the easiest to swap the engine into and why.
I don't like bondo ( never can seem to get it right) and really don't have the time.So if i can find a clean high milage car for cheap, i'll go that route.

The kid by the way got my old Probe GT, he is paying for it though and it leaks oil like a seive.

By the way, the paint on the civic is absolute crap, looks better in the pics, Earl Shibe with lots of orange peal.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

I thought you said the intake was apexi lol. Thats a steal with those mods.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

civic engine bays are pretty much all the same through 92-95 like what was mentioned. Since the d16y8 is a SOHC it will be able to fit fine, if you were going to go with a bigger engine then theres headaches.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Yea it was a steel with the key word being "was" so I'm looking at this wreck and it seems the rear axle isn't that bad after all, although one of the arms is bent. I could fix it.. Unfortunately the PO cheesed up the interior and the windows also don't work right among countless other issues with an abused ride. So perhaps the swap still is the answer.

Now please try and correct any errors as i'm trying to get a handle on the electrical issues. I've also done some yahooing but can't find the specific answers I'm looking for

first a 92-95 lx'dx'or ex all with D motors should have a manual Transaxle that will bolt up to my d16y8 T or F
next if a non v-tec dx or lx is selected I'll have to get a obd1 to use with the original dx or lx cpu Tor F
if a ex is selected i'll be able to use the 92-95 obd1 and cpu from that car T or F
With any of the above i'll also need a conversion harness for the D16y8 sensors T or F

Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

just remember, if you get a hatchy, the exhaust is going to be too long. The CAI may also not fit but you could probably make it fit.

get that car up in the air and see what all has been f-d in the a under there.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM

I've already checked and it doesn't look that bad, like i said, the rear axle is bent and not broken ( some sort of stabilizer arm about 3/4 " in dia)
The front is the mostly the transaxle w/ the frame being straight. The car was cheesed up before we got it with aftermarket fenders that didn't fit , a bad paint job , rough interior etc. part of the reason it came so cheap. The kid thought it was kool but I think its trashy junk. So back to the swap.......

and what is a CAI, I've got to get used to these acronyms. ( I don't do text messaging either)

and chopping an exhaust is the least of my worries.

oh did i mention the car also came with a short throw shifter.

Quick Reply: What other models can you use a D16y8 for