General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What is a purge control solenoid valve and why don't I have it

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM
HCF Member
Default What is a purge control solenoid valve and why don't I have it

So the previous owner swapped in a b16 into my 93ex he also installed and skunk2 intake manifold, not sure if that would effect this. I know basically what it does and that it should be mounted below my fuel rail. But why don't i have it, i just have the plug sitting there, is there any reason that this would be removed for performance or anything, i don't have a cel indicating any problem with it, like i would expect. Should I install one, how will not having this effect my engine. Thanks for the help

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

I am pretty sure that is a ODB2 only component. Not 100% sure but I'm sure RonJ will be by at some point to clarify.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Both the B16 and Z6 engines have a purge valve. It's part of an emissions control system that prevents escape of gasoline vapor into the atmosphere. You may not pass inspection in some states without it. No CEL is thrown because your OBDI ECU is unable to monitor the valve. In contrast, the OBDII ECU would throw a CEL.

How's your information gathering campaign going?

Name:  picture_1928.jpg
Views: 12532
Size:  61.8 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 01-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

I don't see the canister, solenoid or the line coming off my manifold I would assume this may have something to do with the fact that it is a skunk2. I have heard that not having this may effect fuel efficiency is there any truth to that, or to what degree. My "campaign" is goin pretty good I have got every thing figured out except for this purge control thing, what do you recomend just leave it how it is. I Have two cels right now one because my cel is for an automatic and the other one should turn off when i hook up the vtec solenoid. Do you know where i can get the connectors that go into the harness for the ecu. I am goin to check radio shack today, but i don't expect them to have it. I was dumbfounded when i started inspecting the wiring directly from the ecu he spliced in wires to the harness in possibly the worst way i have ever seen, not only did he not solder a sinlge one some of them where just touching each other an then taped together. I have no clue how they could work like that. So as soon as i have time im going to go through and solder and shrink wrap the mess that he called splicing.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The canister system doesn't do anything other than reduce pollution, but that is worth doing especially since there's no advantage at all to removing it. It doesn't affect engine performance or gas mileage one way or the other.

If you don't have a fitting on your manifold, you can tee the hose into one of the other vacuum hoses, such as the one for the brake booster or the cruise control. It just needs to draw a little air through the canister when the engine is running to remove the fuel vapors that were absorbed while the car was parked. Unburned gasoline vapors escaping into the air are a major contributor to smog.