General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What should I do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Default What should I do about this?

Hey everyone,

I know that the Civic is one of the best looking cars out there for the amount of $$$ they cost, but the frickin' FWD understeer is pissing me off! I really wanted a RWD car, but nothing good comes to mind other than a 240SX which I could make fast and cool looking too for about a thousand more than it would take to do it to a civic because the 240 looks kinda blah without a body kit and some nice wheels.

Anyway, from all of you out there who have raced your honda fast around a corner, do you think that an LSD tranny on a B series engine is a good solution to this whole mess of the understeer problem? Or is it still really evident that your car has issues when it comes to turns? The reason I ask is that I would really like to do autocross or something, but I'm kinda skeptical about the Civic's handling capabilities, especially when the only tire that does have power (the one on the inside of the turn) loses all traction and pushes the car farther into a straight line away from turning. Argh this pisses me off...

Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do? Keep the Civic or ditch it for RWD?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What should I do about this?

dude. you havent really driven a civic unless youve driven one with an LSD around an auto-x circuit. you can come into a corner really fast, off-throttle oversteer around it (with the right suspension setup) then hard on the throttle as soon as you clear the apex of the corner and it will pull you INTO the corner. its AMAZING how much of a difference it makes. and you can burn some killer circles with mickey Ds trays under the back tires the car freakin rotates around the center. its a trip.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 PM

LOL I'm gonna get me some Mickey D's trays and an LSD! lol Thanks a lot for the help!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:48 AM

LOL, I have some video of my si with LSD on mcds trays. It is crazy. Just like awd donuts. Ill have to see if I can find them and post em up here.

Anyway, the LSD is an amazing handling upgrade. I bought it because I wanted to launch better in the 1/4 mile and only did some minor auto-xing. Once I got it, it was kinda disapointing as I could still spin the tires going 40 mph down the road and had traction probs lauching still although they did improve alot. Once I took it auto-xing again I found its real purpose. It was crazy, when you feel the understeer coming on hit the gas and it pulls back into it. Kinda took a couple times of getting used to it, totally opposite of open dif.