General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Haha reminds me one time i had to change out my front windshield. So i go to a body shop and just ask the guy how much it would cost, he gave me a big number (something like 180) and i was like oh ok i might come back later. (i didnt have the money with me). So hes like ok ok ill give it to you for 150, i was like damn thats pretty good so i told him ill be back, and he lowered it again and charged me 120 for it. No need to say i ran home and got the money right away lol

Old 10-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the hardest thing to pay for is the labor...

at a junk yard i think i paid like 80bucks for the windshield of my old truck.
hardest part is removing the old windshield! that seal stuff is strong as hell. i know the windshield people have the right tool for the job.... all i ever had was some guitar strings a piece of wood handle and some gloves one person inside and one person outside to work it back and forth

instaling it is actualy pretty easy. clean all the old sealer off the new glass and the window frame. then get the new sealer. GO WITH THE GOOD SPRAY OUT STUFF those lines of thick rubber rope suck when it comes to sealing up good! been there done that had it leaking bad!
use the stuff that has to dry it makes a good seal!
and if ya can get some large suction cups to help put the window up there, and make sure the suction cups are holding good.LOL dont want them to slip off and break the window! they are not needed but would surely help the instal..... i did it with just me and my dad holding it and laying it inplace.

but if posible just find a cheap pro and watch him and what he uses...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Cereal Admin

well I've decided I'm going to give replacing the windshield myself a try. I found one at a local (sort of... an hour away) junkyard for $60, no cracks or anything. So far, I'm estimating repairs at around $250 total (I'm getting entirely new headlights... going with projectors). I think I'm going to try to fix the guy's broken-a** mugen lip; it's better than buying a new one (and I have nothing better to do with my spare time). Basically, I want it to cost as little as possible to get it back on the streets (but I miss my projectors, so I have to have those lol).

Anyway, it looks like it'll be next saturday at the latest when I buy it. Like I said in my build thread, the insurance co. called him yesterday and they need to come out and see it again monday, but after that I can buy it.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Cereal Admin

w00t, just got an email from him... I'm buying it saturday (until i actually buy it, the "maybe" is staying in my sig since he still might pull a d**k move and sell it out from under me).

I'd still give it about a 10% chance that he sells it out from under me, but that's probably because I have really big trust issues and never believe anybody lol (but seriously, I have enormous trust issues). But if he doesn't, here's what's going on next saturday (and maybe sunday, depending on what time I feel like going to bed/whether or not I have access to work lights lol):

-pull the seats and throw my Tenzo R's in
-Pull off the headlights (probably order projectors)
-swap out the front bumper
-fix the rear quarter panel rust (a hole the size of a quarter)
-pull the fender off
-Pull the hood off and sand it down and see what the damage is
-Put the door apart and see if I can't get the window back on the tracks

Then next weekend I'll hopefully have a new windshield, headlights and fenders... in which case I'll get insurance and tags, then the next week I can actually drive it

And I think I'll probably start refinishing my 17's, probably sand down the clear on the mugen grille and re-clear it (the clear is cracked, but I don't think the carbon fiber got damaged), and maybe order new tires for the 15's.

Also, I'm thinking of repainting the VC a metallic burnt orange, and if I do, I'll probably paint the 15's the same color, and then I'll probably wrap the door panels in the closest shade fabric I can find (and then I'll convert the guage lighting/climate control lighting to blue LEDs)

*another edit: and boosting it probably won't happen anytime soon, so I'll probably let the build thread die. I'm still going to hook up the SAFC for future use (and to mess around with) and the t3/t4's goign to stay in my basement. I'm still going to eventually boost it, but not this year. I think I'll probably dig into the suspension (I'll probably drop it more than my EG was) a little bit, but I'll end up saving my money for more useful things like car insurance (next summer when I bring the mustang out of storage).

Last edited by reaper2022; 10-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Okay, I'm looking for an eg/ek/240sx for my next project, and today I came across this. The guy's asking best offer. Sorry I can't post bigger pics, but photobucket won't cooperate (freakin campus-provided internet sucks here). Basically, it needs new lights, a new fender (perhaps both), possibly a new hood, a front bumper, and a windshield. I'm thinking offer $1,000 and let him keep his aftermarket wheels and integra seats (I have Tenzo R's that will go in and Flik wheels anyway). But it does have a b18b.

What do you guys think I should offer? $1,000? $1,500? I can't really go above $1,500 since I need money for the turbo project.
Offer a flat $1,250

Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

d**mit, where's an annoyed rolling eyes smiley/a facepalm smiley when you need it?

I've already said like three times in this thread alone, I talked to the guy and I'm buying it for $1500 cash this saturday.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin

okie dokie, just bumpin this... Right now, I'm getting this bad feeling that the guy has sold it (not sure why)... I haven't talked to him since like monday, and today he's not answering his cell. I'm seriously going to be so p**sed off if he emails me/calls me to let me know it's sold. But assuming it isn't sold, I'm buying it tomorrow. If it is sold, I'm probably going to say f**k it and buy another bike... I miss my f4i lol

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL.... have you look at the car yet? if so ya know where he lives so just drive by and see if its still sittin gthere or if its gone....

good luck with it, but sorry but if someone pays him full asking price then laugh at them as they over paid. IMO that is..

Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I was there last thursday (not yesterday). Unfortunately, it's in his garage, so driving by wouldn't really do much good. I'll just be frustrated if someone bought it... clean title, b18b swap, $2-300 of repairs that need done, and $1500. It's hard to find an EG in decent shape for that price let alone an EK.

But I guess I'll find out tomorrow hopefully... I'm wishing I would've shot him an email yesterday or earlier today... maybe I'd have an answer by now lol

Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Cereal Admin

double post... still no info on the civic... if I don't have that little communication issue resolved soon, I might just be buying a '90 240sx rolling shell... the guy wants $1000 obo, I'm thinking of offering up $700 since it has no frame rust or anything (and sparco seats). I figure a ka24 will be $300-400, so I'll have a running car for around $1,000, leaving me a nice little boost build budget (hey, I might actually have a turbo 240 build now lol).

I guess I'll keep trying to get an answer about that civic and go from there... but I gotta have a plan B, right?

Quick Reply: What should I offer?