General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Where do you install Subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Default Where do you install Subwoofers?

I have honda civic 1997 EX Coupe.

i know there are 2 speakers in the front and another 2 on the rear. and 2 smalls ones front the windows by the door.

1. how do you install or where do you install it? the one where speakers goes to?

2. and where can iget the two small speakers? bestbuy?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

Are you using the stock head unit, or do you have an aftermarket one?

1. No, subwoofers are typically mounted to a box, and kept in the trunk (because of their size), but I've seen them mounted elsewhere (usually it's a custom installation, though). There are some that come pre-mounted (like a truck style subwoofer), and there are also tube-type subwoofers (called bass tubes). There are entire books on subwoofer design, so I won't go into that here. However, what you'll need (other than the woofer itself) is an amplifier, power cords from the battery to the amplifier, grounding wire for the amp, a wire that goes to the head unit called a remote turn-on lead (so your amp doesn't drain your battery when the car's turned off), a crossover (if your head unit doesn't have one built in), and speaker wire. If you have an aftermarket head unit, it probably already has wiring and ports for hooking up a subwoofer. If it's the factory one, it'll be a lot more difficult. Here's a great place to start doing research so you'll be more informed about what you need, and how far you want to go with this.

2. I would assume the small speakers you're talking about are tweeters, which can be purchased almost anywhere. You typically get what you pay for, but check the specs on the ones you're looking at to make sure it's what you want them to do. I prefer Polks, myself, but everyone's ear hears them differently. The guys at Best Buy typically aren't very knowledgeable about what they're selling, so if you can get them from a place that specializes in car audio (or even someplace like Crutchfield), you'll have an audio enthusiast working with you that knows what they're talking about.

Hope that helps. Don't forget - if you swap out the head unit for an aftermarket one, you'll have to get the wiring to keep the factory head unit somewhere in the car so your keyless remotes still work.

Last edited by ChristianL; 04-13-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by edwarlkd814
I have honda civic 1997 EX Coupe.

i know there are 2 speakers in the front and another 2 on the rear. and 2 smalls ones front the windows by the door.

1. how do you install or where do you install it? the one where car navigation system speakers goes to?

2. and where can iget the two small speakers? bestbuy?
For speakers there are sites like eBay but I am not sure you will get them or not?

Last edited by kumerlove; 01-26-2013 at 01:54 AM.