General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Why does my new Si pull to the right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Default Why does my new Si pull to the right?

I just purchased a 2007 Civic Si Sedan. What a machine!!!However, it was pulling to the right, especially under power like when climbing a hill. So the dealer had it realligned. From the factory the toe was off, but the computer printout from the reallignment showed everything within specs and zero toe front and rear. However, it still wants to pull to the right, and still more so under power.

I haven't had this with happen with my old 1987 Accord or my 2005 Pilot,but I don't think either of them had a limited slip differential up front. Is that what's causing the problem in my Si? Areother Si owners experiencing the same thing?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Why does my new Si pull to the right?

is it happening all the time, or just when you're getting on it? If the latter, its probably just good ol' fashioned Honda Torque steer

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I live in the west with 75 MPH speed limits. On the flat the pull is almost absent. But when I'm going up a hill at that speed, I can't take my hands off the steering wheel or the car immediately heads to the right. So I'm not stomping on it when this happens, but going 75 up some of our hills definitely requires some power. After posting my question, I spoke to the dealer and he suggested we swap the front wheels left to right to see if it's wheel/tire related. Certainly worth a try.

I've heard of torque steer but never noticed it on any of my other front wheel drive cars. I thought there may be something in the limited slip differential that is putting unequal power to the front wheels and causing the problem. Many of our interstates are rutted from the tractor trailers. I thought the ruts might be interacting with the differential, but the pull is definitely related to the amount of power the engine is putting out.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

Yea rotate teh tires. There could be wear on them from when the toe was out that could still be causing it.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM

could be the crowning in the road from the semi and othe large gvw vehicals. you may not be able to see the crowns but ifits ahighway older they mightbe there enough to pull your vehical a little.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

i have been told cars tend to vear to the right for safety reasons (falling asleep at the wheel and car moving to right to avoid entering oncoming traffic) makes sense, doesnt it?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: shangrila

could be the crowning in the road from the semi and othe large gvw vehicals. you may not be able to see the crowns but ifits ahighway older they mightbe there enough to pull your vehical a little.
THis is a good point. Depending on the road, the crowning could be a big enough deal to cause this. I've been on cross country trips before where I thought something was wrong, but it was just the highway and when I got off of it, the car was fine.