General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Why is my car so sloOOoow with the A/C on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Why is my car so sloOOoow with the A/C on?

Yep, the best solution is to never use the AC. You could even remove it completely, I guess. I believe that there is some parasitic loss of HP even when it's not on, because it is always giving some resistence--friction--to the engine via the belts.

There's a thread somewhere on here started by a guy who did this because his AC broke. He did say he expected MPG to go up. I asked to keep a record, so we'll have to check out what he says.

I'm also doing a study on driving at highway speeds. So far, with AC on and windows up, I got something like 39.8 mpg (it's in another thread). Hopefully I can do the same route on an interstate with the windows down and no AC and get some accurate numbers next week.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: civicstealth

Yep, the best solution is to never use the AC. You could even remove it completely, I guess. I believe that there is some parasitic loss of HP even when it's not on, because it is always giving some resistence--friction--to the engine via the belts.

There's a thread somewhere on here started by a guy who did this because his AC broke. He did say he expected MPG to go up. I asked to keep a record, so we'll have to check out what he says.

I'm also doing a study on driving at highway speeds. So far, with AC on and windows up, I got something like 39.8 mpg (it's in another thread). Hopefully I can do the same route on an interstate with the windows down and no AC and get some accurate numbers next week.

i wish i could say that myself that ez. today it was 91 degrees where i live!!! i need my ****. lol.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: teddybruckshot

i wish i could say that myself that ez. today it was 91 degrees where i live!!! i need my ****. lol.
Hahah, yeah here in Houston it's either slow car with a/c on or a free steam room ride. I think it's hotter than 91 here and even feels hotter with the humidity

Old 07-30-2006, 06:31 PM

96 today here in big ol' iowa.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

103 here today in Minnesota. I am more of a fan of windows so that isnt a problem for me. Of course i used the air today but im willing to sacrifice a little bit of power for a refreshing ride. Plus the subaru's air kicks ***.