General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

that was wierd

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 AM

That grinding is the starter against a flywheel thats spinning pretty fast. I would guess its the sound of the starter motor spinning much faster than its supposed to.

As to why your car is making that noise without having the engine running and turning the key... dunno. Got any lemon laws there?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Super Cereal Admin

The noise is actually along the same idea as grinding a gear in your transmission. If one gear (your flywheel) is spinning at a much faster rate than another gear (the starter gear), they're not going to mesh; they're going to grind. If you put power to the starter motor (turning the key), it's going to extend the starter gear and make it spin pretty fast (trust me on this, I've played around with starters quite a bit lol). That's all well and good if the engine's not spinning, but if the engine's running, the flywheel is always going to be moving faster than the starter. It's basically the same idea with a transmission; you can clutchless shift from any gear to any other gear without grinding, and on the same token, you can grind the living p*ss out of your gears. It's all in how fast a gear is going when you try to mesh another gear with it.

Anyway, I'd pull your starter and make sure it has all its teeth. As for the brake light, you're talking about the red brake warning light (RBWL), right? Check your brake fluid; it could be as simple as low fluid (which would indicate either worn brake pads or a leak somewhere in the system).

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That would happen because the key switch was stuck in the "start" (III) position. When you push the clutch down the safety switch is pressed and the starter will come on and grind the gear. The starter energizes whenever the key is at III AND the clutch is pressed down.

The BRAKE light comes on when the hand brake is up, the brake fluid is low, there is a hydraulic pressure problem (some models) and maybe if none of those apply to you, also a bulb check when the key is at III. I know some other cars have the bulb check but I'm nut sure if any Civic does.

Definitely check the brake fluid level and if you have to add any keep a close eye on it. If it goes down again there is a leak which will of course only get worse and leave you with no brakes.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Clutch:
You might try greasing the contact point between the slave cylinder push rod and the clutch release fork.

Brake light:
Check for brake pad wear.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

thats soo bad lol, my mom diddnt know the car was on so she did that and she ended up needing a new ignition

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by chrismag
ok so what he is saying that my key was stuck? and when i pressed the clutch it try'd to start?
This seems like a very remote possibility unless you have been having ignition switch problems.

Name:  picture_2701.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  59.5 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 03-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.