General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

windshield leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM
HCF Member
Default windshield leakage

Was driving tonight and it was raining pretty hard (cincinnati, OH)
I noticed water leaking in from the top of the windshield (passenger's side). It wasn't pouring or dripping or anything, occasionally I would see a drop running down the inside of the windshield. I'd feel for where it was coming from and in spots it was wet on the inside.

I figured the seal had been broken or something. Anyone know of any DIY re-sealers or how much it'd cost to get the seal redone?
I assume they wouldn't replace the windshield, just pull up the seal and redo it.

No auto shops are open around here on Saturdays, at least none that wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg and claim your entire frame is compromised and needs replaced, so I immediately thought to post here.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

****, that means the rain is comming this way.. (pittsburgh)... anyhow, put silicone around the outside edge.. it dont matter if it gets on the paint, it will peel right off.. just rig it around there untill you can get it fixxed.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

silicone really?
I have a spray silicone I used to help lubricate my window tracks, will that work?
thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

no, you want the kind that comes out like gel and dryes to be like rubber, i think its silicone.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
no, you want the kind that comes out like gel and dryes to be like rubber, i think its silicone.
Yeah, I was talking to my step-dad about it, like a silicone caulk. He said I could just take it along the outside of the seal and that would probably fix it.
Otherwise I'd have to rip the seal up, hope the windshield doesn't move around at all and ultimately just make things worse.

This sound about right?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

yeah, just like caulk actually.. it dryes like rubber.. the windshield will be fine, they are built to withstand that stuff.. think of it like an entertainment center... you know how its all wobbly untill you put that thin backing on it then its nice and study, the windshield does the same thing for a car so it dont flex.. ur gonna be good, just put the silicone around the seal where its leaking.