General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Winter driving tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Default Winter driving tips

After having it snow on EVERY day I deliver for the past three weeks (of course it doesn't snow on my off days) and spinning out at least twice a night, I'm fed up. Other than sand bags does anyone have tips on beefing up your civic and helping with winter driving?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Winter driving tips

Do you have good winter tires ? There are different grades of tires, maybe you need ice and snow ? All-Seasons arent good enough even if they are new, they use a different compound...

Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

if in an auto use low ya winter tires/chains

Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

Good tires, sand bags, and stay out of the gas. I haven't spun mine yet. All those years of driving RWD I guess. Spun the tires, but not the car (except in a parking lot).

One nice tip for snow is to start in 2nd rather than 1st. Less torque.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Ya my little DX doesn't like starting in first so I usually just barely touch first then go to 2nd as fast as possible. The spinning out is annoying because I'll be driving straight and it will just go, you can feel the car loose traction and it will just go in a circle. Tonight I did one going about 30 mph (I was turning a SMALL corner but my town is retarded and puts brick inlays on the intersections, where people walk, and they freeze over) THAT was a new experience, I've never felt g-force like that. Sand bags I know of, my tires... Im' not too sure of. I think they're winter tires.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Out of curiosity what exact name of tires are you running ? Are they new ? Because you shouldnt be spinning out 2x per night unless youre the fast and the furious, LOL...and sandbags I dont think would help that much in a fwd drive car?...people use them mostly for rwd to weigh down the read end, but you have your engine over your front wheels so thats a lot of weight all ready...

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM

The tires are new, it's just I'm driving in the worst conditions. Like tonight, it snowed when it was warm so there's a layer of wet on the ground, then as it kept snowing it got cooler so over the wet layer was mooshy snow. To give you an idea of how bad it was, I was parked in a person's driveway, a normal slant driveway, and I put my ebrake on and slid backwards until I got to the street. Lol, THATS how bad it was tonight. Tonight was the worst night so far.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 PM

that sucks and must be really extreme conditions...your civic weighs 2500 pounds so it shouldnt be sliding down hills with decent ice and snows in any condition...if the weather is that bad just stay home its not safe out...!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Ya tell my boss that. The dude is in the mob I swear to god... last friday I told him I couldn't deliver any more (I got stuck three times and had been working for three hours) and he's still bugging me about it and giving me ****e for it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: yo****hemonk

Ya tell my boss that. The dude is in the mob I swear to god... last friday I told him I couldn't deliver any more (I got stuck three times and had been working for three hours) and he's still bugging me about it and giving me ****e for it.
I know its hard...but your safety comes first...if the weather is that bad your main concern is actually watching for other drivers running into you...[:@]...

Quick Reply: Winter driving tips