General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

winter maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
HCF Member
Default winter maintenance

Ok so I decided next weekend I'm going to upgrade a few things befor it's starts getting colder, and snow andice comes.
[ul][*][align=left]Change transmission fluid (using Mill$civic's DIY) using oem honda fluid.[/align][*][align=left]Change pcv valve[/align][*][align=left]Change fuel filter (still debating which kind to get, want oem but don't wanna spend more than $30 on it) suggestions??[/align][*][align=left]Adjust alternator belt (any DIY's or diagrams around anyone know of?) pretty sure you loosen the top mount bolt and loosen the bottom screw then move it slightly forward,but would like better writeup and/or pics please[&:][/align][*][align=left]Fix find source of the squeaky rattle in/around glove box (irritating as hell!)[/align][*]Then if have time find little screws for Momo shift ****, not direct fit [/ul]
Any suggestions or feedback welcome

Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: upgrade next weekend (17th)

this is called "maintenance" not "upgrades" [8D]

Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

lol ya and you forgot the most important detail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change your radiator fluid!!!!!!
i believe that is the most important thing to do for winterizing!

i would also drain all your washer fluid out.... simply pull off the hose off before the sprayers and put it in a bottle to save it for summer if ya want.... and refill it with deicer washer fluid... that way you washer tank fluid doesnt freeze and bust/split it open......
also have your battery and alternator checked and replaced if it is weak or to old.
unfortuantly a few years ago i was stranded alternator died out and drained the battery and the car shut off had to walk ruffly 4miles home to get a new battery and walk that same 4miles back to the car in 15degree snowy weather.... thank god for a realy nice warm set of carhart coveralls!

and last steps that would be a good idea for any bad winter driving... a sleeping bag or something warm, and some food and drinks in your car... personaly i like jerky so i put in a big bag of jerky... and some gatorades in my car.....
cause you never know when ya might slide off the road and get stuck in a bad storm. ive heard of quite a few people sliding off a hill or into a creeck and not being found for a few days. and im sure NO ONE wants to stuck in thier car for that long!!!!!!! its just alittle prep that if it comes down to it it might save your life....

Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

lol ya and you forgot the most important detail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change your radiator fluid!!!!!!
i believe that is the most important thing to do for winterizing!

i would also drain all your washer fluid out.... simply pull off the hose off before the sprayers and put it in a bottle to save it for summer if ya want.... and refill it with deicer washer fluid... that way you washer tank fluid doesnt freeze and bust/split it open......

maintenance upgrades same dif

A few months back when I got my timeing belt put in they flushed my coolant and added more fluid soI think i'm good there . I also got it flushed at NTB a few months befor that flush, If I had known..... lol oh well.

Didn't know that about washer fluid... I thought it has chemicals in it all year round for different conditions[8D]. I'll check into that thanks.

Yeah I should atleasthave a first aid kit in my car. With that story you got me even more worried[&:]lol. I usually keep a couple sweaters and stuff just in case, and always have my cell (cell phones are big life savers). I also have an autotool kit in my car, cheapo's made in china ( actually shattered the 10mm socket). That reminds me I should prolly replace that socket 10mm's pretty imortant.

Thanks, keep it coming this could be a good winterizing thread!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

I heard about some people spraying oil under the body of the car to prevent salt and ice getting in there and rusting out parts, anyone do this?

If below 40 degrees I usually run my car idle for atleast 10 minutes, or untill it's under 1 rpm at idle. I also don't push it past 3rpm's untill the temperature gauge tachis at the half way point.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya should be preaty good then......
ya never wanna race the engine until its been warmed up a bit....
i hardly ever shift my 94 over 3K rpms.... only done it a few times and that was after warmed up..
but then again ive been going easy on it also trying to get best gas milage from it. to bad my speedo was messed up so i wont know how good i can get until i get the other speedo swaped in. and the suspension fixed.

might have to learn to start taking off in second as soon as it snows as well....

Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

'addiction' I was under the notion that you lived in north carolina for some reason.... brings up a good point about tread on tires. If your worried maybe you should get some studded winter tires for the front[&:].

Just make sure you got good tread on your front tires if there going to see snow and ice makes a huge difference. I'm sure you know but reiterating for other people that read this.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well im never that worried about traction.LOL cause i want to have my own fun....... main thing with winter is ya cannt run wider tires.LOL learned that last year with my 99 with my old rims i had... they slide all over the place!!! just to wide slaped the stockers on it and it helped out ALOT...

thats probably the ONLY good thing from the 94civic.... it has brand new tires.LOL thats why my alignment is so important cause i want to make these tires last!

i live in indiana.... and i live out in the country.LOL and i think im on the road that gets plowed the very last.LOL