General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member
Default is it worth it?

so ill be commuting about 160 miles round trip every day for school in the fall. i have a 2000 civic ex AT. would it be worth it to get a sri to save even just a little bit on gas. i dont have really any plans on doing much other work in the near future because of money. but would spending about $100 on a aem sri to save just a little on gas each day worth it? any import is nice

Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Default RE: is it worth it?

Good lord that's a long drive. I'm sorry.

Ever consider getting an appartment that's closer?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

its a school near philly. apartments are expensive so its still cheapers to drive its gonna suck but im gonna try it for a little bit...good thing is it that i live less than a mile from the turnpike and the school is right off the turnpike so its a straight shot on the pike so i can get there in an hour or so..still kinda of annoying but whatever

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

wow. go get yourselfa hybrid, haha
or move closer.
with the price of gas now and how it is still rising, not sure if that far of a drive will really be that benificial.
Think about it.
Ok, yes an apartment is expensive BUT compare it to:
the cost of gas for the commute
the cost of regularmaintenance that you will have to do on your car because of racking up so many miles (e.g. oil changes, tire rotations, etc)
the rapidness that other maintenance will be upon you (cooling system flush, timing belt/ water pumpreplacement, new tires, new belts)
And of course, you're just taking a toll on your car
all those cost will come upon you quicker, therefore, just double check to make sure the cost in the end will be less than that of an apartment and if it is really worth it.
Think about after you get out of school and how many miles you will have accumulated on it.
Are you planning on keeping it then? Selling it?
All things to consider.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Despite ad claims to the contrary, modifying your intake doesn't save any gas. You get better mileage with a restricted air flow, which is best effected by treading lightly on the gas pedal.

Do the basic stuff that doesn't cost anything first to be certain of a payback. Make the car as light as possible by removing everything that isn't bolted down (and maybe a few things that are).

Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 PM

yea the best thing to do is take that extra weight out of yo car...but i'm not gonna lie...yo car is gonna be hurtin over time...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

Keep the tires a little over inflated, just aound 3 to 4 pounds, cut your rolling resistance down a little, and make sure you clean or replace the air filter every now and then, don't buy a K&N nothing happens in the fuel milage department, your better off buying more filters as you need them, stay away from fram filters they are hard to drag air thru.

I like the cheapo purolater it's the most like factory, and breaths well, if you haven't recently sitck a set ofspark plugs in it, again don't go for flash or weird plugs, just everday ordinary plugs, other than champion are fine, plugs loose power after awile but you don't notice because the power go's away slowly, and you wind up pushing the car harder and use more fuel.

It isn't going to give you alot but any improvment is good with gas at the price it is.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

k&n filters do work, they let the engine breathe better