General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is it worth it to add hp to 98 civic lx?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Default Is it worth it to add hp to 98 civic lx?

Hello so I was wondering about my 98 civic lx which has the stock engine D16Y7 so its only 106 hp.. so far my friend has helped me put some stuff on it like a custom intake from the local store, some new NGK plugs and wires, and on its way is my Yonaka catback exhaust.
I was hoping to get gains above 10 hp and somehow working my way up to 130 hp if that's possible with my low budget of 1000.
Is it worth it to spend the money to get up to 130 or would it really be minimal gains and not worth spending any more for hp gains?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 AM

You will not see 130 hp from adding an intake and exhaust. Maybe 2-3 hp at most.

Put money into suspension modifications if you only have $1k to work with.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You will not see 130 hp from adding an intake and exhaust. Maybe 2-3 hp at most.

Put money into suspension modifications if you only have $1k to work with.
Alright thanks do you think lowering springs is what I should get?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM

If possible, try to hold out for fully adjust coilovers. Honestly, that will run you about $750 at the least and then you will need an alignment after installing them (~$80). It is also wise to purchase replacement lower control arms and lower control arm bolts (bolts from the dealer x6) as it is common for them to be seized into the bushing. Make sure you have a torch to heat the bushing up and then turn the bolt out. I won't get into much more detail at this time, as a lot of the info is already out there.

Make up a thread after searching around a little bit in the suspension section with any specific questions you may still have and we would be happy to help.

However, if you want to completely upgrade the suspension, I would suggest the following:

Fully adjustable coilovers, or lowering springs/upgraded struts
Strut bars (front and rear upper bars)
ASR rear subframe brace and sway bar. You will also need aftermarket Lower control arms if you want a sway bar I believe. Don't cheap out on LCAs either, I had bought a cheap set and the bushing turned to **** within 6 months. I spent the extra money on a nicer quality set and haven't had a problem in over a year.

Trust me, modding cars gets expensive, fast.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
If possible, try to hold out for fully adjust coilovers. Honestly, that will run you about $750 at the least and then you will need an alignment after installing them (~$80). It is also wise to purchase replacement lower control arms and lower control arm bolts (bolts from the dealer x6) as it is common for them to be seized into the bushing. Make sure you have a torch to heat the bushing up and then turn the bolt out. I won't get into much more detail at this time, as a lot of the info is already out there.

Make up a thread after searching around a little bit in the suspension section with any specific questions you may still have and we would be happy to help.

However, if you want to completely upgrade the suspension, I would suggest the following:

Fully adjustable coilovers, or lowering springs/upgraded struts
Strut bars (front and rear upper bars)
ASR rear subframe brace and sway bar. You will also need aftermarket Lower control arms if you want a sway bar I believe. Don't cheap out on LCAs either, I had bought a cheap set and the bushing turned to **** within 6 months. I spent the extra money on a nicer quality set and haven't had a problem in over a year.

Trust me, modding cars gets expensive, fast.
oh ya wow that is very expensive I think I just want to be able to lower it more for the looks than performance since I'm not going to be doing any racing. So I've looked around and it seems that Koni coilovers and shocks are pretty good deal good bang for the buck. even then though that to me is expensive a bit to lower a car more for the looks is coilovers / shocks a cheaper way to do this?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 AM

Link to the Koni items you are referring to?

If you are just worried about looks, find a picture of a Civic which looks good and we can recommend a set of springs which will provide that sort of drop. I like adjustable coilovers since I usually raise the car up 1" during the winter.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM

>>>>> KONI SHOCK + GROUND CONTROL COILOVER COMBO <<<<<< - Honda-Tech

Ya well I realized that I'm not going to get hp with my car and with my current budget so I think I just want it to look nice and be a comfortable ride.

I like how this car looks when its lowered

Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM

man i'm on the same boat as you. I was hoping to get a turbo kit for my civic but realized it was way over my budget. So now I'm looking to get an underglow and some kind of dash trim.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Please no underglow lights, or dash trims. It screams fast and the furious, 1999, and rice.

Stick with subtle upgrades. Lip kit, suspension, sound system (if you are into that stuff), tint, wheels (I wouldn't suggest anything bigger than 16") are a few general things which I would suggest.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM

haha now that you mention it, it does sound a little dated doesn't it... Thanks for the advice, a nice sound system actually just might be what I'll set my eyes on.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to add hp to 98 civic lx?