General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

would like some advice, Thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Default would like some advice, Thanks.

So a lil info on my ride. I have a 1990 honda civic crx. It has a great engine in it with only about 120k on it. this is my second honda so i know that they run forever. My last honda was up to 262k miles on it and still running strong. The guy i boughtmy crxfrom started to put a wide body kit on it and then sold it cause he didn't have any more time to put into it. So ive jus been working on the body for the last months. It looks pretty good right now all i need is a paint job and it will look pretty hot.

The engine that is in it right now is a D16. pretty slow! Non-vtec. Since the engine runs so good i am not going to touch it until it starts to go out and then do a full mod under my hood. Until that happens I will just be working on the body and getting that to look good.

So heres the part that I need your guys help. When this engine goes out (wich wont be for many years) I want to go pretty far out and get this car up to 450-500 horsies. I know that its possible but im not sure what all is involved.
Questions:
What engine should I swap into it? B sereis ( wich ive heard would be the esiest swap) or should I go bigger and put more work into it like a K or F series. And what all would be involved and what would be better?
What type of tranny should I put into it? I want to go 6-speed? If i am starting from scratch than I mine as well make sure that the tranny and everything else can handle the power the first time so i dont have to worry about anything going out.
What type of turbo will give me the most bang for my buck? how much extra power would a t3/t4 series turbo give me?
So im planning on doing everything myself. So the biggest questions I have is what all will i need to do to this car so it will move at a respectable pace but still be reliable and last me a while? And of course how much am I looking at?
I found a B16B engine with 5 speed manual tranny and everything else to covert my D16 over for 4,000.

Oh and my car is an automatic right now and i plan on doing the conversion at the same time of my engine swap.
Oh and i am also working on my brake system right now so when I do do the engine swap my car will be ready for it.

P.S. Sorry my message is so long i just get caried away sometimes.
Thanks a bunch for looking and giving me your advice I really do appreciate it

Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: would like some advice, Thanks.

Here's my two ideas (regarding the engine swap):

1) K24 block, K20a2 head, and a 6-speed k-series transmission

2) H22 swap, H2b conversion kit, GSR transmission.

The k20/k24 swap would be more expensive, but there's way more potential
The h2b swap would be less expensive, but I'm not sure you'd be able to fit a turbo into the engine bay (I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying I'm not sure).

With either swap, you'd have to get custom mounts since none of the stock motor mounts would work. You're looking at somewhere around $400 for either mount kit. With the k-swap, you'd have to do some cutting to fit the shift box in place, and also, k-series transmissions have cable shifters, which some people feel don't give enough transmission feel.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM

thanks for the post. How much money an I looking at with the whole K series swap. And how much potential woul I have with a Bseries swap?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

It's going to take a lot of money and work to get that kind of power out of even a K series engine. Just so you know 300hp is a good amount of power for a light civic. Anything over 400hp and your going to have traction issues even with a LSD. Just search around this forum for various topics and you will find a lot of your answers. Also try other forums like turbod16 and Honda - tech (minus the spaces) if you can't find it here or want more specific.