General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Would you buy a CX hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Default Would you buy a CX hatch?

Hey all, I am excited to buy my first import. I have chosen to go with the infamous Honda Civic. There is a car I am looking at, but I need the help of you knowledgeable honda enthusiasts to guide me.

Alright, the car is a 2000 Honda Civic CX Hatchback, Auto. 135,000 kms. Perfect shape. (New paint all around.) Recent brake job and timing belt. Comes with alarm/starter combo and full stereo (Pioneer Priemer deck, 1000 watt Alpine amp for sub and 250 watt amp for speakers, 12" Alpine Type X sub). He says it has many upgrades too. Also, a brand new set of Goodyear Nordic winter tires, as well as the summer tires he had on before.

$8,000 (CAD)

Are Honda Civic CX hatches generally a good car to drive? I see they only have ~106 hp, which seems kind of gutless. If I were to invest a bunch of money into modifying it, would the results pay off in the end? Or should I go for a better model? Thanks all

*edit* here is a pic:

[IMG]local://upfiles/28537/C22E66F13D7A4B0AB5C74A11222FBEFD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Would you buy a CX hatch?

most of the engines in the hatches arent that great. however, if you turbo the car, they can turn into pretty fun little cars

Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM

$8,000 CAD for that car is really much to high...

Seriously, as I know the prices when I shopped for my Civic and I live in Canada, for $8,000 you can get an 03 Civic coupe DX with under 100,000km. Dealer lease buy-back is $7300 off a4 year lease...so keep looking !!!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Check out this link...(used car lot in Toronto)

ie, on the autotrader.ca..., as an example...

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...p;adid=6690672

2003 HONDA CIVIC $6,989.00 //It looks like an LX trim level...
Year 2003
Make HONDA
Model CIVIC
Transmission Manual
Fuel Type Gas
Price $6,989.00
Mileage 121,000 km
Stock # 789
Date 1/24/2008
Ad Code DCMRYZ
Web Ad ID 6690672

Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

please if you want to mod your car dont buy an auto slow as *** trust me ima proud owner

Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mikeyg323
I see they only have ~106 hp, which seems kind of gutless. If I were to invest a bunch of money into modifying it, would the results pay off in the end? Or should I go for a better model? Thanks all
I readyour last sentence...

If you want a faster car right from the start, take a look at the Maximas...youcouldget a really nice one for 8-10CAD, they are much faster (double the horse), available in 5spd,and people mod them too...takes premium gasoline, and its thirtsy, but they depreciate so you can get a nice one not abused for not much, and they are reliable...so if you want to mod it thats an options too, but its a much different car to start from...

Myself Im happy with the Civic, the 1.7vtec is enough for me...but Im not going to spend a bunch of money to mod it, if you really want to mod something there are a few other cars to look at...depends what you want...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Well, for modding, I was just thinking in simple terms to get some fun out of the vehicle. You know, CAI kit, cat-back exhaust, header, chip, whatever.
I will look into the Maxima's. Thanks.
And I also agree that I would rather have a stick, as auto's are slow. It's slim pickings out here in Saskatchewan
I need a vehicle within the next 2 weeks, and I have been looking for a long time. I agree that 8000$ is a lot to spend. Mind you, it does come with a Pioneer deck, 12" alpine sub, and a 1000W RF amp, as well as a 250W amp for the speakers. And command start/alarm. Those options have to be factored in as well.

*edit* how much would you guy's quote the 2000 Civic CX hatch for? Should I try to offer him 7300?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM

$8000 is ok with all the accessories that you have mentioned.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 PM

Well, for modding, I was just thinking in simple terms to get some fun out of the vehicle. You know, CAI kit, cat-back exhaust, header, chip, whatever.
And I also agree that I would rather have a stick, as auto's are slow. It's slim pickings out here in Saskatchewan
I need a vehicle within the next 2 weeks, and I have been looking for a long time. I agree that 8000$ is a lot to spend. Mind you, it does come with a Pioneer deck, 12" alpine sub, and a 1000W RF amp, as well as a 250W amp for the speakers. And command start/alarm. Those options have to be factored in as well.

*edit* how much would you guy's quote the 2000 Civic CX hatch for? Should I try to offer him 7300?
8,000 is the worst price you could possibly pay, you can get a much better car for much less.

BlackBook value (in Canada) you can access via toyota.ca, go to "price your toyota" then "appraise trade in" for a 2000 CX with the mileage you stated is:

Year
Make
Model
Series
Body Style

Honda
Civic
CX
2D Hatchback
Based on the kilometers entered
and the options selected, your vehicle's classification
is appraised as: Average.
Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised within the High and Low range. * less Reconditioning Costs
Low: $2,367.00 High: $3,867.00
Even with his options, I would not go above 4,000...the car is not in "perfect shape" if its 8 years old and has an aftermarket paint job, everyone says their snow tires are new, etc...accessories likethe stereo and alloys unless they are new and top of the line dont account for much...youre shopping for a car, not accessories...CX model is bottom of the line with no options at all, no air, no pwr, nothing...In Canada people change timing belt/waterpump at 100km so most civics you look at would have had it done...brakes arent that hard to do either...
So Id keep looking, but if you decide to get the car based on your time frame, just keep in mind its a very high price (see the 03 civic above)...But I know what you mean, if its hard to find a used car in your area, there is not much you can do...[:@]
Also be sure to check out Craiglist, and Autotrader, and your local online used city sales boards...
Some additional options...if you really want a Civic, tomorrow call all the Honda dealers local to you and tell them your situation, maybe they can hook you up with something coming in off lease without much markup...because sometimes people want to end their leases early and dealers want to sell them a new car...(ask for the leasing manager)...thats how my friend got his last car...or ask a used car dealer to look around for you at the auctions within 2 weeks,he takes less margin if you tell him you want the car ASAP, since it wont sit on his lot for x amount of time...

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

where in sask dude haha im from moose jaw!!!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a CX hatch?