General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Would you lose hp or really hurt your car that much taking off the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Default Would you lose hp or really hurt your car that much taking off the intake?

I put the intake back on kindly loosely cause I was in a hurry and the hose to the engine slipped off. It makes a way more agressive sound without it and I was thinking about driving around without one. Would I lose any HP or would I only be in danger if its a giant dust storm or something

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Would you lose hp or really hurt your car that much taking off the intake?

Not having a filter is going to hurt your engine over time.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Would you lose hp or really hurt your car that much taking off the intake?

Look at a used filter. Do you want that in your engine?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah I guess youre right, after time all that will dirty up the engine. What about HP wise though, will it lower it with the stock intake off?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

I imagine it would go up because you removed the restriction. Put a CAI on it. If you can't afford that, slap a K&N OEM replacement in there. I have one on my 07. Little if any performance increase, sounds a little meaner and they last forever (clean it every couple of years).

Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

I have went from an ebay sri to no intake (some jackass stole my sri) then to an AEM V2. I didn't really notice a difference in power,up or down, between any of them. Just hook up any intake to it so you can have a filter and a clean engine.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM

You may actually lose some power without it. Intake and exhaust systems need to be balanced in order to produce any hp gains to speak of....and even then, the gains are minimal in a normally aspirated engine.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 PM

I always thought if you take the exhaust off and ran straight pipes you would get a boost in HP but it would be super loud and illegal because there is no cat

Old 12-13-2007, 04:04 AM

Taking the muffler / cat off and running straight pipes will definately not produce an increase in hp. Engines need some back pressure to run efficiently, and as I stated earlier, the intake / exhaust configuration needs to be balanced. If you were to run a straight exhaust, your mind may tell you that your car is faster...because it's making more noise. But in actual fact, that is not the case.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

yeah an im not ever sure if the eingine will run properly cause with no intake at all theres nothin to hook up to ur MAS which in return ur car will bog out an dye. An runnin full straight down-ups back will increase ur HP...the more u can flow out ur exhaust the more ur car can breath an more the turbo will spool...theres tons of people with full 3" down-pipes back exhaust with a boost of HP
I mean look at mustangs with full headers back it will have more HP then one with it

Quick Reply: Would you lose hp or really hurt your car that much taking off the intake?