General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

wrecked 99 si worth fixing?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Default wrecked 99 si worth fixing?

Hi eveyone I would like some opinons I have a 99 civic si that i wrecked and i would like to know if its work fixing it up.These are some of the things that are not good:
oil pan
whole exhaust system
gas tank
front 2 fenders
windshild
theres a dent in the top next to the sunroof
suspention
Also the car has been in the garage for about 2yrs and I was told that the engine locks. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

What how much would i have to invest on it?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: wrecked 99 si worth fixing?

What do you mean by engine locks? If the engine is siezed, then you will have to take the engine apart to fix it most likely. It all depends on how much you are paying for the car. A 99Si is worth around $10,000 it it doesn't look like the parts you have to replace is that expensive. I wouldn't bother fixing the dent on the roof, unless its huge. Oil pan is easy to fix, exhaust is pretty easy, gas tank is easy, fenders are easy (except paint), windshield you will most likely have someone fix. Suspension is a little hard but not really if you know what you are doing. I would get an aftermarket exhaust system and an aftermarket suspension system. As long as you don't have to rebuild the engine, I think that it would be worth it to rebuild. It all depends on the price for the car. If you are getting the car for $8,000, then its not worth it. If you are getting it for like $4,000 then it is probably worth it

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

it depends on if you have someone else fix it or if you fix it. and it depends on how much you can get the parts for. and it depends on what all you were going to replace with aftermarket parts anyways. and if the engine is locked, it's a big pain. and dents on the roof are a pain. and the gas tank will be frustrating because the fuel pump is probably broken as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

Gas tank isn't really that hard to replace. Fuel pump is inside the gas tank and its not that hard to replace either. The only problem is the $$$ for the parts. You can try and hit up some junk yards to see if they have any parts you can use.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM

well i was thinking of fixing it my self exept the dent and pain part. does anyone know of a site on were i can get some parts at a affordable price?
I have tryed the salvage yards for some gas tanks and no luck i called a dealer and they said it would be about $400 for that tank

Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

There are plenty of sites online that sell aftermarket parts that are usually cheaper than dealer parts. I would also try to call parts stores like Autozone, O'Riely, Murray's etc.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

oh ok, well here is what happend the car was bought from a car dealer and i didnt get full coverage insurance so they but a calodrol protection thing and after the wreck it covered all of the car payments so i only paid about $3000

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like it ran over something and tore the bottom out. If there's damage to the unibody rails you should stay away from it. It's liable to break in half on you later.

Engine locking is never good. Plan on a new engine. Though I think if you dent the oil pan up enough the rods will hit the pan but that may resolve itself with just a new pan.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
mxs
HCF Member

How did you wreck it? Pictures??

Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Engine locking is never good. Plan on a new engine. Though I think if you dent the oil pan up enough the rods will hit the pan but that may resolve itself with just a new pan.
If the engine is locked up, you should be able to rebuild it if the block is not damaged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wrecked 99 si worth fixing?