General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Wretched Fate

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Unhappy Wretched Fate

Hey, I was in the army and got PTSD and recently lost my job and I have to sell my 2011 Mustang GT and find something cheap.

I found a 03 civic EX with 195k miles for 4.9k$ and I'm hoping I can just trade my stang in and recover as much cash as possible, I was just wondering if theres anything to watch out for for this year and make. It is a coupe and 5 speed manual which is nice and it has a clean body and interior. Gonna go check under the hood tomorrow and possibly close the deal.

Does this particular model have vtec by chance? O well, at least it will be nice to get 30 MPG. Also I think it has a moon or sun roof, so that's pretty cool.

here's a pic of it btw,

I will probably keep it stock performance wise, I feel bad cus i put a few good grand in my stang and its all gone now. What do you guys usually do aesthetic wise for the civic? probably just head lights and rims?

Last edited by HopeSi; 05-29-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

the major concern with 01-05 civics are faulty automatic transmissions so your good with the manual. another problem is high head gaskit failure rate. other then that there's not much like rocking driver seat. other then that your only real concern is maintenance items for a high mileage civic like the timing belt, compliance bushings, shocks,struts. yes the 03 ex has vtec but it doesn't do much on the this D17 engine its more for MPG. as far as looks go you already have what appears to be a oem HFP body kit but it could be a knock off. most people with EM2s usually do lip kits,suspension,wheels. side note i read somewhere that LSD or shrooms can potentially cure ptsd maybe look into that ???.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 05-29-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
the major concern with 01-05 civics are faulty automatic transmissions so your good with the manual. another problem is high head gaskit failure rate. other then that there's not much like rocking driver seat. other then that your only real concern is maintenance items for a high mileage civic like the timing belt, compliance bushings, shocks,struts. yes the 03 ex has vtec but it doesn't do much on the this D17 engine its more for MPG. as far as looks go you already have what appears to be a oem HFP body kit but it could be a knock off. most people with EM2s usually do lip kits,suspension,wheels. side note i read somewhere that LSD or shrooms can potentially cure ptsd maybe look into that ???.
thanks, I was impressed by your post up until the last bit. PTSD is nothing to poke fun at. I lost everything in my life.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

actually i was being quite serious its called Psychedelic therapy Psychedelic therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and until recently human trials have been Reintroduced and have been shown to completely cure PTSD,alcoholism and severe depression. here is an article about it from Popular Science magazine The New Science Of LSD Therapy | Popular Science . there's plenty more information online.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 05-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Kind of a lot of miles for the price. Those cars can last 300,000 miles but only of course with proper maintenance. You might look at 1996-2000 models if you don't care so much about the number of miles. The D17 engine introduced in 2001 is not quite as good as the old D16s. Really in my opinion the 1995 was the best Civic ever made, but it is very rare now to find one in good condition. Avoid automatics in the earlier models too. Honda just hasn't made a good automatic.

Last edited by mk378; 05-31-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM

I hope you didn't trade in your Mustang vs putting it up for sale by owner... The biggest ripoff is the trade value any dealer will give you compared to fair market value.