General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Your Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 AM
HCF Member

I'm using Mobil-1 for since 5 years ago. it is good for my car.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Forty04
Its a stock econo-car, run what the manual recommends. Synthetics are fine.

There is 100% NO benefit to running Royal Purple on your car. Don't listen to the dreamers

here you go. There is no denying it.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...tic_141562.htm
http://royalpurple.com/

but hey if you want to hate on us dreamers go ahead, still doesn't change anything. After watching these vids it's not hard to believe at all. If I ever buy a new car I will start off with this oil.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive been using RP for about a year now. great stuff. the way i see it if it is a DREAM OIL like some people say well it sure isnt hurting anything by using it.... who knows i might get more life out of my bearings and better MPG doesnt hurt either
first time i put the stuff in my old civic and got around 3-4mpg more on the same driving style i was stuck on this oil! ill pay the extra money for this oil from now on!
ill be switching my 96dx to RP shortly. i was just waiting to get my new hood before i changed the oil so noone could tamper with my oil.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

ive beeen using this oil for about a years also and i dont wanna switch back to anything else. Might as well spend a little more money on something you care about so much

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
here you go. There is no denying it.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...tic_141562.htm
http://royalpurple.com/

but hey if you want to hate on us dreamers go ahead, still doesn't change anything. After watching these vids it's not hard to believe at all. If I ever buy a new car I will start off with this oil.
There are also videos online proving the functionality of things like electric superchargers, turbonators, and crazy spinny dealies you put in your intake for higher MPGs. Just cause its online, certainly doesn't mean its legit.

DO YOUR RESEARCH

Addiction. First of all, BS on your 3-4mpg comment, didn't happen. Only way I could see it is if you went from old, ****ty dino oil straight to RP. If that is the case, than ANY sythetic on the market would have had the same effect.

Second, Its been posted about time and time again all over the internet. Using Royal Purple has been proven to smoke more than other sythentic oils, especially when switched to at a high number of miles. For instance, theres a guy on the subaru forum that switched to RP, and his car smoked, which it hadn't done before. He then went back to Mobil1, and the smoking went away. He is one of MANY people posting these same symptoms.

Honestly, if all the hype makes you guys feel better, than more power to you!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i went from high milage oil to RP same weight oil as well. cannt remember the name of the high milage i believe it was in a green bottle. not the cheap stuff.
you can claim BS all you want ive done my own research and tried it..... same driving style and AC on just about the same. civic had about 110K miles, automatic tranny.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

btw I have a civic with 140k miles. No smoke with RP. You're going off what others say, the same thing we're doing. But one difference is both of us actually use it. No one needs to get upset over this.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito its more personal preference.... it all works to keep the bearings moving.
every mod in the world has its pros and cons. im not telling everyone to go out now and buy RP... try it out in your own car once and you be the judge to everyone. whats the harm a little test gonna do?

worst case with trying RP your oil seals get cleaned and you leak alittle oil, just switch back and let the oil clump up around that oil leak to seal it again thats the ONLY CON (besides cost) of any synthetic motor oil....

IMO im gonna keep using it! if you dont like it dont ever buy it again.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
i went from high milage oil to RP same weight oil as well. cannt remember the name of the high milage i believe it was in a green bottle. not the cheap stuff.
you can claim BS all you want ive done my own research and tried it..... same driving style and AC on just about the same. civic had about 110K miles, automatic tranny.
I think by "research" you mean that you dumped a few bottles into your motor and convinced yourself it was worth it.. Thats fine, more power to you. I just don't buy into the hype

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
btw I have a civic with 140k miles. No smoke with RP. You're going off what others say, the same thing we're doing. But one difference is both of us actually use it. No one needs to get upset over this.
No, I'm basing my thoughts off COLD HARD FACTS, rather that hype by folks paid by Royal Purple. These tests have been run by non-biased parties, on tons of street driven performance vehicles.

Keep in mind, you're driving an econo car with no performance qualities. There is little to no real stress being put on that motor, which is why these Civics tend to last forever.

The tests I read on Nasioc were run on turbocharged boxer motors, eating 15+ psi all day every day. Rings tend to take a little more abuse under these circumstances.

As I told you via PM, I am not upset that you guys like Royal Purple. I'm upset that you're trolling the forum posting "Royal Purple is the Best." That is FALSE information, which is something we need to have as little of on the forum as possible.

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
dito its more personal preference.... it all works to keep the bearings moving.
every mod in the world has its pros and cons. im not telling everyone to go out now and buy RP... try it out in your own car once and you be the judge to everyone. whats the harm a little test gonna do?

worst case with trying RP your oil seals get cleaned and you leak alittle oil, just switch back and let the oil clump up around that oil leak to seal it again thats the ONLY CON (besides cost) of any synthetic motor oil....

IMO im gonna keep using it! if you dont like it dont ever buy it again.
A - Mobil1 TDT 5w40 is significantly cheaper, and proven time and time again to be the best for DD/non-raced turbocharged boxer motors (Best meaning "run of the mill" oils. This does not include the higher end stuff like Amsoil).

B - I will not spend $35 on oil alone just to prove something thats already been proven by NON-BIASED parties around the world.

C - For the fifth time, I never once said RP was bad for your car. I simply stated that its over-priced, over-hyped, and completely unnecessary for the cars being discussed here

I've said it time and time again in these threads. If Royal Purple makes you happy inside, GREAT! But IT IS NOT THE BEST OIL OUT THERE, NOT BY A LONG SHOT. So stop filling the newbs heads with lies.

Last edited by Forty04; 08-19-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i swear forty you always freak out about oil threads... LOL
im not telling anyone ITS THE BEST. its worked good for me and ill continue to use it in my vehicles.
you spend ruffly 300-400bucks for gas for that 3K miles driving on the oil, whats 35bucks for oil.
sure the cheaper oil works... but what ever you buy what kind of oil you want and ill buy what i want.

Quick Reply: Your Oil...