General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Your opinion on Harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Your opinion on Harnesses?

so since there is no interior section in the "your ride" section, im gonna post it here, and if a mod feels i needs to be moved...have at it...any way:

Im thinking about buying some harnesses for my stock seats...im not sure if i really need seats right now...i dont really slide in them, there not the best but, i let my buddy drive my car, and as i was riding, i mean, we were hitting corners at only 5-10 mph slower than i would, (near the cars limits, but since he isnt used to it, and its not his, we wasnt trying to wreck it...you know) and i could feel some G's...but it wasnt like i had to grab the bar, i just had my arm out the window enjoying the ride...but some people, (not sure if they being over dramatic or not) act like its impossible to stay sitting when im cornering...so im kinda looking at just harnesses, as i feel that having support on both shoulders, and tighter support at that, would help out tremendously...im thinking Takata's (if i can find a good deal, i like the green) but i have found a good deal on NRG harnesses, and i havent heard any thing bad about them... but what do you guys think? does any one here run harnesses? any one want to get rid of some harnesses?

thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Your opinion on Harnesses?

I would be interested in the answer to this also. I feel unsafe in the stock non-locking belt. the Honda dealer said they could not change them for security reasons. He probably meant legal/insurance reasons.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

your belt doesnt lock if it moves to fast??? hmm..sounds like the tensionor (maybe..im no pro at belts) is messed up...that sounds to me like it would be illegal for them NOT to fix it you know? but yea.. you will feel safer in a four point...but realise Gene...if you have a coupe...your basically eliminating your back seat. because to do it right, the shoulder belts have to mount no more than 4 inches below your shoulder height and no higher than something or another, but your not going to mount it on the roof anyway...lol, so you have to either run a B pillar bar, which would cause any one getting in your back seat to squeeze under it like a contortionist...or i have seen some one mount it to a point where the bottom half of the factory rear seat would be (it was gutted) which would again, eliminate the back seat. and, its not safe. Im really not worried about my back seat because i havent used it for people for like 3 months...and now im not in school, ill use it even less...so it just collects temporary items anyway.

i just thought i would let you know gene, so you didnt waste your time and or money...but if you have a four door....(i think you do...i cant remember..lol) it would be pretty sweet. and the B piliar bar usually doesnt get in the way .

Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

Harnesses aren't really safe in the sense that if you roll your car they're not going to do anything.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 PM
HCF Member

The driver's belt is inertia only. The other belts are inertia plus if extended all the way and released they will lock at the released length. This is so child's seats will lock in place. I would like to have the driver's belt operate the same way. Pull out to end and then release. The belt would then lock at that length until youunhook it and it returns to rest. Sounds simple but so far I can't get anyone whoknows how to DIY it, since the dealer refuses. If I could just get one of the passenger belt setups from a British right hand drive version............

My first Volvo ('65) had preset length belts. You adjusted them when you got in and they stayed that length holding you firmly in place. Worked fine. I wish someone made one that worked the same way for my Civic.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

If you don't have a Roll/Harness bar in the car, don't run harnesses. Spinal compression probably isn't all that fun

Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

but you shouldnt get spinal compression since the lower belts on a 4 point use stock location....and odviously the stock belts are safe...and the upper two when mounted correctly in the right place wont give you spinal compression at all. I guess that i forgot to mention that ill be getting a B pillar bar which would be like having a cage as far as a place to safely mount belts too.

Harnesses aren't really safe in the sense that if you roll your car they're not going to do anything.
i think they are safe if they are required to participate in dozens of auto racing classes, and if i roll over, i really dont think i want to go any where......and to reply to that statement in another angle....if you roll over your belts are going to hold you there....thats why people put them in.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM
mxs
HCF Member

don't do it, it's not safe

look up the CG-Lock

Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle
ill be getting a B pillar bar which would be like having a cage
no it's not, unless you are talking about a harness bar which is specifically made to take that kind of load

they are required to participate in dozens of auto racing classes,
do you have any proof of this?
no sanctioning body is going to require something as unsafe as harnesses with stock seats and no rollbar.

and if i roll over, i really dont think i want to go any where.......if you roll over your belts are going to hold you there....thats why people put them in.
and the roof of the car will cave in and your head will get crushed because you can't go anywhere

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Seriously though, I'm running harnesses, but my roll bar is also going in within a week. Like 40 said above, spinal compression wouldn't be fun.

My personal opinion, is that harnesses are superior to seatbelts, but ONLY if they are done correctly with a roll cage and attached harness bar.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on Harnesses?