General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Your opinion on Harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Your opinion on Harnesses?

yes MXS, im talking about a harness bar.....

and i cant provide links..but i have seen tons of TV shows like "horsepower TV" that have done builds for racing in certain classes...also there are quite a few articles in import tuner, honda tuning and the like that have done builds with harnesses. NOW they dont use stock seats because they are too hard core for that...lol but seriously, a seat isnt going to change much, the biggest difference is the side bolsters are more supportive, and they are one piece so they have slots for belts. now, if you run your belts over your old seats and mount them to a harness bar, why should the seat matter? and if the roof caves in now, my belt will lock, and since ill be hanging there because i cant let the belt unlock and let it loose, im still going to "get my head crushed" because the stock belts wont let me go any were, at least not fat enough to avoid being crushed by a caved in roof.

i really dont see why a cage is needed if you have a harness bar...if your roll over, the same thing is going to happen, regardless of what harness type you have, because like i said, the stock belts lock, your going to have your head at least smashed off your caved in roof, and with the other harnesses, the same things going to happen....plus, im not planing on rolling my car anytime soon...but please, provide me an document explanation of why I HAVE TO HAVE A CAGE to run 4 point harnesses.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

The difference is that regular belts allow you to move side to side in case of a roll over. Harnesses will hold you straight up, little bit harder to duck under those circumstances

Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

understood...but i really dont think you would have time to "duck" in the event or a roll over....i think it would all happen so fast, you wouldnt have time to think of moving..but also, if you have your head rest right, then your seat would help prevent your from being crushed.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

im not planing on rolling my car anytime soon...
worst logic ever, nobody PLANS to have an accident!

here's another thread on a similar topic.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_262791/tm.htm

I suggest doing your own research if you don't want to hear it from us.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Who said anything about a cage? all you need is a roll bar. and if you want documented proof, try googling harness + spinal injury.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

alright....thanks for that link marnie...but i think ill be ok with just the harness bar, or using the rear seat points (i know a guy on another forum with that set up." i think as short as i am, im not going to be effected to badly if i roll...and i believe in fate, and my life is in Gods hands, so if its my turn to go....it doesnt matter what i do...its still my time.

thank you for all your information and opinions....ill prolly order them by the end of the week, or early next week...so ill get some install pix and let you know how it goes.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM

3 point harness or 4 point harness...

4 point = no no without a specific attachment point/harness bar or roll cage

3 point = ok for AutoX if you following the MFG's instructions for installation....

harnesses are not fun for daily driving, take it from a guy who ran 4 points

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

i believe in fate, and my life is in Gods hands, so if its my turn to go....it doesnt matter what i do...its still my time.
from the other thread:
ORIGINAL: mxs

Harnesses hold you back to the seat so you can't lean forward and check your blind spot while driving.
so if you change lanes into another car that you couldn't see and run them off the road.... is that fate too?

4 point is fine for autocross but 6 point is becoming the standard on track. with a 4 point, if you get in an accident and you DO slide out of the harness, it's going to be downwards... the 6 points keep that from happening.

if you insist on a harness for the street I wouldn't recommend anything other than the Schroth.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

no marnie...that would be called, not looking down the on ramp and picking your spot...all of ours are half a mile long...down hill, and you have a clear view...and i can turn my head enough to see my blind spot.... without moving my shoulder..but i will look into those harnesses...also...5 points keep you from going downward...but they kinda.....well...hurt. im not going to be doing any racing...at least not for a long long while...so i dont need 6 points.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
mxs
HCF Member

my original comment still stands, if you really just want to keep your butt in the seat around turns, then a CG-Lock (or just the lap belt portion of a harness) will do that more safely.