HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

96 Honda Civic Dx Sedan Build

Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default 96 Honda Civic Dx Sedan Build

Well this car has been sitting around in my garage for way to long. I can finally take some time and work on this puppy. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to convert this Auto to a Manual or not yet. The engine has not even been thought of yet. The idea is to make this a fun simple project so it will be done.

I know right off the bat that I'm pulling the engine out all the way. I will be doing a wire tuck and looking into doing a brake tuck as well. I'm going to spray the engine bay and the whole car will be black out.

This should be a fairly non extensive build but due to my work schedule and Dj'ing on the weekends the couple hours a night I get I will try and make whatever progress I can.

I'm going to go ahead and order some goodies for now and I'll see about getting some pictures up as this build go on with my progress. I know I will have a slow period in the body area where I need to get some welding done and fill some holes in in the engine bay.

The car did have a bad head gasket so I did pull the head off to check it prior to taking the rest of the engine out. I was thinking of doing automatic build off the d series as I have skipped right over them and went with a B series and a K series on my other hatches. So I would like to see what I can get out of the old D series as automatic.

It's been a while since I posted in the forums. Man I have missed you guys!
I'll post some pics later tonight of the car and where I'm at!

Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Update 1

Alright guys it's been a busy week with work and my other stuff that has been going on with Dj-ing. I had very little time but with a little determination I have got some good progress done as far as where I wanted to try and be.

So I got the engine pulled out and damn with the humid *** air up here in Maine, I left the garage door open for a couple nights and saw a little surface rust on the cylinders of my block. No biggie as it will be going to the shop for a nice cleaning is the idea so whatever to that. I did manage to get a couple pictures for you guys.

The engine has been pulled and is sitting nicely on the garage floor out of my way. I also went ahead and took fenders off and bumpers ect, So I can start looking the wire tuck. I have done a little bit of sanding and my buddy is suppose to be bring his welder over this week. So I will have to take a day and hook up some 220 in order to power his mig up. I have some holes to fill and also I'm gonna get some metal welded on in some area that were gone in engine bay. I can prob get away with it but while it's all bare I figure I mind as well take the extra time and fix them because If I dont do it now. It will never get done.

I also started some of the wire tuck on this and started getting a better idea of how I'm going to run some of my wires out of the way. I still have some other stuff to get out of the way for the bay to be completely gutted but they are all small and minor.

So here are some pics of what's going on so far. I'm ordering suspension parts this week. I will repaint some of the arms and stuff but also replace parts here and there. I didn't plan on spending this much time on the suspension but I said frig it.

Stay tuned for more updates as I hope to get some more done this week and hopefully can be ready to paint the engine bay as long as the buddy comes along with the welder.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

Name:  Wiper%20Motor%20Tuck%203.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  240.3 KB

Name:  Wiper%20Motor%20Tuck%202.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  210.0 KB

Name:  Engine%20Top.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  271.0 KB

Name:  Head.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  293.8 KB

Name:  Drivers%20Side.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  259.3 KB

Name:  Passenger%20Side.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  253.1 KB

Name:  Engine%20Bay%201.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  266.0 KB

Last edited by Finney_3; 06-30-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Brake Line Tuck

Hello everyone, So today I just got back from work and wanted to start trying to get a general idea of what you guys think as far as doing a brake line tuck. I was thinking about either using the space between the fire wall and the engine bay up by the wiper motor or should I tuck it behind my center console in the middle on the inside firewall. I will have to move some stuff in order to make it easier if I'm going to do it on the inside of the vehicle. I'll post some pics of ideas so you have a better understanding of what I was thinking of doing. I'm also going to see what I can come up with for a bracket system as well to hold my prop valve. I'll attach the pics when I get back in.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:06 AM

Finally, another active build other than mine on they forum. Mine isn't the definition of "Active" either, life took over recently

As long as you use hard lines, I say go for the tuck. Not a fan of the soft line kits. I don't have that ability of bending lines, so I left my brake system as is (after deleting abs).

If I were you, my build would be something like (no particular order) rear disc swap, larger front brakes, suspension upgrades, front lip/painted side skirts/rear bumper valances or spats, bigger rear sway bar, better tires, manual swap, maybe something like a jrsc, or very small turbo so I could have some fun on the road while staying on the moderate side of things

Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I'm deff going to do the tuck on the brake lines. I'm now looking for the back end to do a rear disc conversion now. This project is going to take a lot longer than I expected as the building season is in full effect and its wedding season as well.... So weekends are gone to crap. I should get a little bit of work done today.

I got some welding to do and removal of the dash and then that will be one more thing out the way. I'm also looking to get my block mounted and stripped down. Then sent out this week. Hopefully more pics with some progress of what was done this evening.

It humid as crap out... garage is like 100 degrees.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 AM

bring on the heat! This time of year is the best!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

Can't wait to see recent pics of your build. Hope everything is going well!