HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

Honda auto tranny's will whine if they are high miles or with very old/dark/burnt fluid in it. I've driven cars at work where the car sounds like a jet basically and it's the tranny lol. At least the civic auto trannys are good... Tl trannys (pre 04) don't last 100k more often than none and early mdx's also like to slip bad.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Finally got a couple of things done on the Civic. Readjusted the valve lash because after 21K, the motor needed it. Also did a compression check. 170, 168, 160, 170. I'm curious about cylinder 3 but they're all close enough. Also got the camber kit installed on the right rear. The guy did a 4 wheel alignment for me, which I didn't expect and was glad he did. I have somehow screwed up my right front suspension. It has uncorrectable 0.2 degrees caster. Most likely was one of those famous Arkansas potholes. After the right rear was set to perfect spec, I mean right in the middle of the upper and lower limits, I found that the left side needs a camber kit too. It's right at -2 degrees, which is the service limit.

So most likely, if I care enough to get the thing to the point where it eats tires less often, I'll need to get a lower control arm for the right front and another camber kit for the left rear. At least the road noise is amazingly decreased. The only downside is that new bushing squeak that I'll have to deal with for a week or so.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

Don't worry about the caster. It won't cause any tire wear and such minimal difference in caster won't make it pull. And realistically if your toe in the rear is straight now, then 2* of camber should not do too much n your tires. Just keep rotating them often.

Last edited by Scott53092; 01-27-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Wow, this thread is so... not outdated... Nothing has really changed.

I did get the extra camber kit for the back, but the car has become a true daily driver with nothing special about it anymore. The front lip is still broken and is mostly falling off. The fog lights don't work anymore thanks to an encounter with a blown out tire in the road which also killed the front lip. The rear lip's paint is chipping off. The front bumper's paint is chipping off thanks to daily rock chips. The check engine light came back on for the catalytic converter, but it still gets 30 MPG highway so... meh.

I'm already at 37K miles on the new motor. It still runs fine.

The Alpine CD player I have been using since 2005 finally broke. The radio is still good at least, but there's an old Rammstein CD stuck in there permanently. I'm not even bothered. 2005-2014? That's a good run for a head unit.

I have the y8 header and did manage to pick up a y8 catalytic converter. I'm just to lazy to take the car down to the ghetto where the decent exhaust shop is.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

I feel ya man. If a car is too nice, you feel bad modifying it. If it's kind of a piece of junk, you don't care if you rip into to it and modify the hell out of it. But if the car is in that weird in between, where it just looks whatever, and runs fine but not great.... It's hard to find motivation to do anything to it haha

Old 03-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Superfly
But if the car is in that weird in between, where it just looks whatever, and runs fine but not great.... It's hard to find motivation to do anything to it haha
This is where I am at with the teg... Not sure what my next move is.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

^ That's a tough one man. Pretty much what I've been doing is fixing/replacing/modifying crucial components like engine stuff and suspension, and not worrying about looks yet. If the car doesn't run well, spending money to make it look good is useless really.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Ah, the joys of growing old with your car, watching her age and fall apart...

I spent yesterday working on electrical troubles. I lost my keyless remote at a gas station somewhere in Virginia so I've had to use the key and I've noticed the passenger door lock actuator is toast. Peachy. Also got some new ebay fog lights and installed them, then spent a few hours troubleshooting the electrical system. Replaced fuses, moved on. Still in daily driver mode.

The y8 header and catalytic converter are still in my back seat. I should install those someday...

Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

I just bought a passenger front door lock actuator from Auto Parts Warehouse for like 30 bucks.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Im about to see if I can score a set of LS Mesh today. There are two sets for sale locally. One is MINT but like 300 miles away for $250 and one is like 15 minutes away and are a bit curbed. I'm gonna check out the local ones today before I decide to drive 6 hours for a set of wheels.

The goal is to pick up a set of meshies to polish for... I dunno, reasons. Shiny reasons. Im bored and need a project reasons.

After this I might polish my Si rims.

Quick Reply: Hobo's 2000 LX daily driver