HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Scott's Ek Build: Shaved and Tucked

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Scott's Ek Build: Shaved and Tucked

CHECK OUT THE LAST PAGE TO SEE LATEST UPDATES!!!

Hello all, first off thanks for looking at my project thread. My car is a 1997 Civic Ex, manual, and has about 95k miles on its D16Y8. I am a senior in high school so my money to put in this car is kind of limited, I work a lot and a good paying job so I have a lot to spend on the car but I need to save for college at the same time.

-The car-
Here is a picture of my car the day I picked it up, I bought the rims/tires from the dealer I got it from, they are Drag dr17s. I have the steelies for winter:

Riding high:

I’ve got work to do:

Most recent pictures:

Self made shifter on a lathe:

I have lots of plans for this car, I’ll list everything I want to do and its progress below. Any help you may have or advice or even just to say “nice” or “you suck”, feel free to post away. Like I said I’m only in high school so I won’t have a ton of work on this every day, it is a slow on going project.

As of right now this car is a all show and no go, but heavy mods are to come in time.

Current goals to tackle:
- Cruise control removal (DONE)
- Wire tuck, only mild
- Radiator overflow tank in bumper (DONE)
- Install my Greddy Evo2 (DONE)
- Paint skirts, lip, grill, and Si spoiler
- Repaint valve cover, I want to do something different, like have SOHC graffiti style with it like “radiating” different colors, I need another vc first
- I’ll add as needed

Current things I’m making progress at buying:
- Finish suspension setup
- Skunk2 springs (Bought)
- Skunk2 struts
- Blox camber kits
- Blox LCAs
- B16A2
- Integra GSR seats
- 99-00 Civic tails

Future goals:
- B16a2 swap in the summer
- Lower on Skunks in spring (not going to do 2.5” drop for winter)
- Battery relocated to trunk

I obviously didn’t list everything I’m doing since some are so small and not that great importance. We’ll see what I get for Christmas; my family got a list of stuff for my car that I want so after xmas I’ll have some stuff to keep me busy. I’ll make another post to this saying basically what I’ve done thus far that I will keep updated. Thanks for reading my thread, hope you get something out of this or can help me

Last edited by Scott53092; 01-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

Alright here is a list of mods/work I’ve done to my car since I got it, it will be updated regularly and is in order of when it was done.

Most recent: Cruise control removed/radiator overflow tank in bumper
Next: Wire tuck
Then: Whatever I buy or find to do!

- Drag dr17 rims
- Type R grill
- eBay short ram intake
- Mugen style front lip
- AEM Dryflow filter
- Yellow JDM fogs
- Breather filter
- Alpine 6.5’s up front
- Pioneer 6x9s in the back
- 240 watt MTX amp to rear 6x9s
- Sony Xplod head unit
- Debadged
- Made brass shifter on lathe
- Painted valve cover purple
- Painted faded wiper arms
- 3M Headlight restoration kit
- Cute aluminum oil filler cap
- 4 pc tie bar set
- Uppers installed, lowers aren’t
- GReddy Evo2 cat back

Last edited by Scott53092; 11-23-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

I decided to make this post dedicated to my wire tuck. I will start it within the next few weeks, but I wanted to have a post to see the difference seen. I am not taking out my ac or ps since I am going to sell this engine in less than a year and have no reason to start pulling stuff now.

Here are some before pics of the tuck

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Current progress: Cruise control pulled, radiator overflow in bumper, starting passenger side soon.

Goal: Well it is a wire tuck... so I want to hide as many wires as I can, running through fender, tucking under stuff, etc. My main focuses' right away are headlights, harness clips, and I want to relocate the rad overflow tank to inside the bumper. Future tucking stuff is to hack up the harness for tucking and relocate my battery to the trunk.

As I go I will also be repainting brackets that need to stay green (getting my paint code mixed in a paint can) and also painting over things such as the strut towers. There's some white speckle stuff on them kind of like a hardened grease. That way once everything is tucked it'll all match green and look sweet

UPDATES:
Cruise control is out, moved the radiator overflow tank to the bumper, starting passenger side tuck this week!

Cruise control is coming out in a week, opening up that driver side. After that is out I will begin to start tucking stuff away, starting with headlights and all other hideously visible harness' that are on brackets in the middle of nowhere. I will take pics as I go, at this point in the game I am not sure if I want to hack up the engine harness for the tuck but as I start doing the tuck I may sway one way or the other.

Latest pic:

Last edited by Scott53092; 11-23-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

Well today I went and had some help putting my GReddy Evo2 put on, had to chop all the bolts on the cat with an oxy acetelene. I absolutely LOVE the tone of the exhaust. I will put up pics and a vid tomorrow, it's too late at night to do it now. Sounds great though, loud but not too loud, and a nice tone that isn't hard on the ears. Like I said, pics and vid to come.

Over the weekend I picked up some brand new Skunk2 lowering springs off a guy off craigslist for $120, saves me like $40. Still need the Skunk2 struts and camber kits but I'm not lowering until spring.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

i'm loving the purple in the engine, i'm thinking of a polish chrome and purple theme in there. can't wait for the drop.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Looks like a nice set-up and mod list going on there. BTW, is there any reason you specifically want the b16, and not something like a B18c1?

Originally Posted by Scott53092
thanks for looking at my project thread.
Oh, and you're welcome.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM
HCF Member

Well I'm not looking in to boosting any time soon so I figure the B16 would be a super easy swap since it is out of an ek and is pretty much direct. They really aren't too pricey, it'd be a small money loss since I can just sell my D.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

And LS is good priced too. With plenty more potential....

ANYWAYSZZzzAre you able to make another shifter? If so how much???

Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

Here's some pics of my GReddy Evo2 on, fit well, isn't too loud and sounds great. I'll get a vid eventually, I'll wait til it stops puffing white smoke

I'm probably going to try to sell my rims... I want some Rotas for spring. I'll be putting on steelies for winter anyway and I don't want to have to deal with the rubbing of my 17's, so 15's here I come!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Well I got back from La Crosse little earlier than planned today, so I decided to take out the ol' cruise control. The overall task was easy but had a couple snags that slowed me down but it is all out now. I have to run and pick up a firewall plug this week, have the hole ghetto rigged with electric tape right now. While removing my driver side headlight I also managed to break off the two side brackets, so now my headlight is held on by the top 2 bolts, I arr reellly shmart! But here's a pic of the cc gone .

And my bay as it stands now.

Hopefully going to have a paint can mixed of my color in the next few weeks, respray my strut towers and any brackets that have to stay. At least now that the cc is out I can actually start tucking soon.

Also have my cardboard template made for relocating my coolant overflow. Making the sheetmetal bracket this week. Going to have the overflow in the bumper where the old intake stuff was. I'm going to need to find something to do over the Thanksgiving weekend... off school Wednesday - Friday. Making start some tuckin . We'll see.

Haha almost forgot, so I put my Drag's on craigs, said offer me a price. There's not even 500 miles on these rims and tires so you think people would be able to give logical offers. Got a pleasent $150 offer today. Ah people make me laugh.

Last edited by Scott53092; 11-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Scott's Ek Build: Shaved and Tucked