HCF Suggestion / Forum Help Center This section is for suggestions and help pertaining to the forum, not for help with a car.

HCF more mobile freandly please?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM

^^ Ouch. That's depressing to hear.

If this helps in anyway, I'm the guy who sets up sponsorships on forums for Mishimoto, and I had to pass on the site due to the lack of members, views, etc, as well as the decent price it carries. I'm not sure anything can be done about the pricing, but we do need to find a way to make some changes in order to drive some traffic here.

I'm not saying it's dead here at HCF, trust me, I hang out on some honda/nissan/mitsubishi forums that are horribly dead. I mean like the most recent post in 90% of the sections were from over two months ago (excluding the off-topic section..lol .. they are usually the most active parts of forums).

Also, I'll admit I know nothing about how to run a forum site, and I'm not sure how we could possibly drive more traffic here as well as recruit more vendors/sponsors, but maybe little things like what the OP is suggesting could help.

Maybe have a Paypal "button" that would allow members to donate some $$$? It's not much, but I'll gladly kick in like $10 if it helps HCF. If members contribute to the site in this way, maybe set up a "private" section that only premium members can view? Or only allow premium members to have [img] codes in their signatures? Little things like that, ya know?

This is my favorite forum site to be honest and I really enjoy "hanging out" on the forum with like 99% of the people here. I'll take time to answer people's questions here, while on other sites, I'll just skip right over it and won't even read it.

Hopefully, Patrick will see this thread and help us! Please with a capital "P"?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 01-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Snail'n Admin

I can try to set up a meeting with Patrick, and Tony, and Daryl and maybe even some higher ups. To be honest, and I'm not saying this to be a downer, but most of the staff and myself included, get sick of seeing stupid comments and rude posts made to new members. I honestly wouldn't want to come back. This thread is a perfect example (with trustdestructions post, hence why I banned stu for a day), and chris, I'm actually disappointed with how you handled it, i kind of expected better. If it was a regular, thats one thing, but not a new person. I will begin handing out temp bans to people who make rude comments. CryogenicSi and supersize were banned for similar reasons. I don't have any issues with HCF on my phone. At any rate, tell your friends, tell them to stick around. Just try to pass the word on to as many people as you can. Try to "advertise" on other honda sites, just do it within the rules of that site. Heck, go on to the civic groups on facebook and let people know about HCF, just dont come off as a bot. In addition, if someone wanted to be in charge of making business cards? or something to put on peoples windshields at car shows, or just around town, that'd be great. And I'm sure many of the members would pitch in a few bucks to have them made, just send to someone who will get the job done. I dont want to see people bashing on someones car if it's ricey or whatever. If they like it, screw you, thats up to them. Like i said, I will behanding out bans if I see this continue. and RonJ, im not sure where you heard we might lose the site, but to my knowledge, I have not heard anything about that.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 PM

In my defense, when I posted I thought he was a spammer, and that thought was strengthened due to his second post (now deleted... I assume you mods still see this and know what i'm referring to). Had I known he was a legit new member, I wouldn't have said what I said. I apologize to the OP for this.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Snail'n Admin

O and another idea, bring more DIYs onto HCF. Whether you make them, or give credit to whoever originally did it, it would bring more traffic onto the site.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Snail'n Admin

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
In my defense, when I posted I thought he was a spammer, and that thought was strengthened due to his second post (now deleted... I assume you mods still see this and know what i'm referring to). Had I known he was a legit new member, I wouldn't have said what I said. I apologize to the OP for this.
I understand, just please let the staff handle that. IM one of us. Usually you can reach chris, josh, or i during the day. Hell ill give you guys my number, just text me and tell me who you are and whats up, Ill take care of it from my phone or whatever. Just dont bash people, please. HCF was fantastic when I joined. Nobody bashed anyone and this was my favorite site to visit. It has since changed and I'd love to see it go back to how it was.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Alright.

Oh and the DIYs thing is definitely a good idea.

I also have a suggestion somewhat along those lines... I made it a while ago and it was acknowledged but no one did anything about it. Some of the stickies in the various sections of the forum seem to be not in the most appropriate section (such as "Free Helms Manuals" in ECU section... IMO should be in gen. tech), and some need to be updated to fix errors, such as the missing text on long posts that was a result of the Vbulletin implementation.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
If this helps in anyway, I'm the guy who sets up sponsorships on forums for Mishimoto, and I had to pass on the site due to the lack of members, views, etc, as well as the decent price it carries. I'm not sure anything can be done about the pricing, but we do need to find a way to make some changes in order to drive some traffic here.

Maybe have a Paypal "button" that would allow members to donate some $$$? It's not much, but I'll gladly kick in like $10 if it helps HCF. If members contribute to the site in this way, maybe set up a "private" section that only premium members can view? Or only allow premium members to have [img] codes in their signatures? Little things like that, ya know?

Also, I'll admit I know nothing about how to run a forum site, and I'm not sure how we could possibly drive more traffic here as well as recruit more vendors/sponsors, but maybe little things like what the OP is suggesting could help.

I am sure HCF staff would also say that sponsorship is what's needed. I would agree that this is the ultimate goal of any forum. But a forum cannot attract good sponsors without having competitive member traffic. And furthermore, a forum is not going to have competitive member traffic unless it is well managed and also managed creatively on a day-to-day basis. In my opinion, the latter areas are where HCF has fallen down hard.

I'm not saying it's dead here at HCF, trust me, I hang out on some honda/nissan/mitsubishi forums that are horribly dead. I mean like the most recent post in 90% of the sections were from over two months ago (excluding the off-topic section..lol .. they are usually the most active parts of forums).

There is some limited amount of life left in HCF, but it's clearly on a trend of becoming like these forums you describe.

This is my favorite forum site to be honest and I really enjoy "hanging out" on the forum with like 99% of the people here. I'll take time to answer people's questions here, while on other sites, I'll just skip right over it and won't even read it.

I too like HCF and have tried to contribute to its success, but the lack of any real leadership has significantly degraded member experience here.

Hopefully, Patrick will see this thread and help us! Please with a capital "P"?

Based on the trend I have been seeing, I am highly skeptical that any type of serious discussion or action will go any further than this thread.
Originally Posted by GReddy_Civic
I can try to set up a meeting with Patrick, and Tony, and Daryl and maybe even some higher ups. To be honest, and I'm not saying this to be a downer, but most of the staff and myself included, get sick of seeing stupid comments and rude posts made to new members. I honestly wouldn't want to come back. This thread is a perfect example (with trustdestructions post, hence why I banned stu for a day), and chris, I'm actually disappointed with how you handled it, i kind of expected better. If it was a regular, thats one thing, but not a new person.
I will begin handing out temp bans to people who make rude comments. CryogenicSi and supersize were banned for similar reasons.

I feel that your singling out of certain members and mods for acting improperly is misplaced. In my opinion, focus your gun sites higher up to the HCF leadership who have failed to invest any significant effort in providing guidance to the staff and management of the site.

I don't have any issues with HCF on my phone.

Again, it's the HCF leadership who need to step up and act on this type of idea.

At any rate, tell your friends, tell them to stick around. Just try to pass the word on to as many people as you can. Try to "advertise" on other honda sites, just do it within the rules of that site. Heck, go on to the civic groups on facebook and let people know about HCF, just dont come off as a bot. In addition, if someone wanted to be in charge of making business cards? or something to put on peoples windshields at car shows, or just around town, that'd be great. And I'm sure many of the members would pitch in a few bucks to have them made, just send to someone who will get the job done. I dont want to see people bashing on someones car if it's ricey or whatever. If they like it, screw you, thats up to them. Like i said, I will behanding out bans if I see this continue.

It's clear that policing forum rules is important, but this alone will not save the site. Again, what's needed is for HCF leadership to wake up and to start participating in and contributing to the site. HCF staff don't have the power to make the necessary changes that must come about.

and RonJ, im not sure where you heard we might lose the site, but to my knowledge, I have not heard anything about that.

Of course I haven't heard anything either, but from what I see happening, this site is clearly in a state of decline.
------------

Last edited by RonJ; 01-23-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM

In addition, if someone wanted to be in charge of making business cards? or something to put on peoples windshields at car shows, or just around town, that'd be great.
O and another idea, bring more DIYs onto HCF.
Both are great ideas GReddy. I bet someone here has a hook up on some business cards. Maybe put the HCF logo on it with the url, and something like "HCF wants you..... to join us!" lol

I have a DIY being finished up right now on exhaust wrap. I'll also start making DIY guides almost everytime I work on my car, of course, I'll make sure not to make a re-post!

Also, I like the DIY section how it is, but maybe copy those DIY's and make them stickies in the appropriate section? For example, there could be a DIY named "Installing an intake". Have that one in the DIY section with all the rest, but also have one as a sticky in the I/H/E section.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

Ill make cards lol and begin placing them on any civic/sol/rex windows I see, next check as a matter of fact lol.

1 more thing that helps traffic is the classifieds.........
I know we have our 25 post rule or whatever I cant remember right now for some reason...... but on other forums they get new members who are always selling stuff on the site........... Like on clubcivic for example.... Stu and cvcrcr both have 0 posts and have been members for a long time just to keep track of there for sale threads..... it brings traffic I go thru all FS sections regularly....

Just an idea

Last edited by NIKE H34D; 01-23-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM

I go through the CC classifieds, but hardly ever post on there. It'll bring traffic to the site, however, it'll bring spammers/scammers, too.. which could bring consequences.

I'm all for the 25 post rule. If someone is serious about selling something here, they will take the time and start posting, and hopefully, the posting will continue once they hit 25.

BTW, I'm gonna be doing a quick, and cheap DIY on how to fill your torque mounts. Sweet. That should be finished tomorrow evening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HCF more mobile freandly please?