HCF Suggestion / Forum Help Center This section is for suggestions and help pertaining to the forum, not for help with a car.

Increasing membership?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

http://www.vancouvercivics.com/home.php

I like the layout of one of my local forums. They sell things to show off forum pride, and get sponsored by local garages.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
http://www.vancouvercivics.com/home.php

I like the layout of one of my local forums. They sell things to show off forum pride, and get sponsored by local garages.
I like how they showcase their Featured Ride (seems equivalent to our ROTM). I think we need to showcase our ROTM winner.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Add to your rules that new folks can't make posts about tihngs that help cure people of terrible diseases. That person will be accused of being a scammer, virus infiltrator, a "tracking cookie leaver" ***just so everyone knows, most tracking cookies aren't malicious LOL!!!!*** I dunno. With the way I've been treated, I don't see your membership getting too much beyond the pimple faced crowd of immature morons croninc seems to represent here. Some simple education and Google skills would solve a lot of the knee-jerk misunderstandings about my post in that regard. Oh, but wait! I pointed that out already and that thread was also removed! Go figure!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Aside from venting anger, what is the point your post? This forum and others get numerous scam and troll posts everyday. I don't know anything about your claims, but the post in question gave the appearance of a run-of-the-mill scam. It seemed very out of place and therefore su****ious for a Civic forum. I'm a scientist by profession. PM me your information, and I'll evaluate it. If it's crap or not, I'll say so in this post. Regardless, you'll come off as more credible by posting such information in a more appropriate forum.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Aside from venting anger, what is the point your post? This forum and others get numerous scam and troll posts everyday. I don't know anything about your claims, but the post in question gave the appearance of a run-of-the-mill scam. It seemed very out of place and therefore su****ious for a Civic forum. I'm a scientist by profession. PM me your information, and I'll evaluate it. If it's crap or not, I'll say so in this post. Regardless, you'll come off as more credible by posting such information in a more appropriate forum.
I've sent you a PM. The point of my post was that there are some awfully quick to delete mods running around here spurred on by members who have a shockingly low grasp of the Internet and the tools available to them to perform research before claiming a new member is scamming, hunting for money or trying to infect others computers. It was like, here's my intro thread, got good feedback....then here's a thread in the Offtopic area telling folks a little about what I'm interested in and seeing if I can generate some interest here for helping to cure diseases, a subject I would not normally harp on until the vicious and completely unprofessional treatment I received here, and I get some tremendously immature and ignorant comments made in that thread. Does no one seek knowledge around here before passing half-a$$ judgments on people?

Read over what I've sent you and perhaps you can see from where my anger would stem.

This place wants new members, yet deletes a thread I created asking why my stuff got deleted and I've not had a SINGLE PM from anyone with any authority here. Seems to me like the mods are out of control and daddy admin is out of the office.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I read through the information and, as you say, the Folding@Home program is legitimate. It also has honorable intentions for improving public health as a main objective. I can see no harm in participating in the program and, in fact, some good may come of it in terms understanding how proteins fold. This information has implications for understanding disease processes, though over the last eight years since its inception, no major discoveries have been made as far as I can tell. However, it's still possible that important discoveries will be made in the future.

With that said VTXFrank, you must understand that internet forums are constantly barraged with scams making completely false and fraudulent claims. This is a Civic forum comprised of primarily young people, some of whom cannot differentiate a legitimate program like Folding@Home from the many bad ones out there. In fact, I think it's quite natural for our members to be skeptical and assume that such claims are false until facts indicate otherwise. I also believe that you should avoid angry tirades, which only serve to discredit you. Nevertheless, good luck with your Folding@Home efforts, thanks for your service to our country, and I hope that you make a full recovery from you injuries.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

vtxfrank, honestly you have no idea what your saying. You cant come on a forum and start advertising for your cure for w/e. Bulls$hit posts are made everyday like that asking people to donate money or visit their site. Well guese what, most of them turn out to be virus's or computer scams. Seeing that you have minimal posts its hard to believe you. Sorry i may have come out strong but computer fraud is very high right now and im trying to protect our members. Plus no here wants a tracking cookie on there comp, good or bad. Plus your breaking the rules and have yet to say sorry. I'm not goint to apologize cause i didnt do anything wrong. I'm trying to protect the members of this form by calling out something bad or against the rules. If you had been a member for half a year or so and had contributed a lot to the forum, no one would have said anything probably. But the fact that you come on here thinking everyone is gonig to believe you is ignorant, stupid, and self centered. You didnt even read the rules. No forum will want you stay if your like that. Go ahead and post your link on HondaTech and see what they have to say. HFC is one of the nicest civic forums out there. So i suggest you say sorry for breaking the rules and become and productive member. With the attitude you have right now, you will get flammed on every forum you join.

edit:

btw im done agueing with you. Its sad how a "grown" up can get so butt hurt over a little post where infact he was wrong in the first place. Good luck with life because right now u are failing.

Last edited by croninc; 04-10-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 AM

Since no rules were broken, just a knee-jerk reaction with zero foresight nor even a cursory glance in my direction, I don't see the need for an apology on my behalf.

The real scenario is simple. Your mods knee-jerked because you, a short time member with a lot of posts, made an immature assumption about a post. Due to your ignorance and insecurities about how to navigate the Internet, much less see how an embedded link in forums resolves, I was treated like crap.

And now, I should apologize? Not gonna happen boy. You have a lot of growing up to do son. A LOT.

I'm now over on 8th forums. My reception there has been quite different than the one here. Obviously, the mods there don't over react and treat new members like crap.

RonJ, thank you very much for your time and effort sir. A simple Google search, as I requested without being argumentative in the least when this initially began, seems to have informed you and placated any concerns you may have had. Your advice is duly noted, however I cannot quite agree with it. I've been staff on forums for a long time and I won't go into the list of forums I've been involved in. Suffice it to say though, that with technology forums, we get a tremendous amount of spam posts. I was careful to give enough information in my original post so that anyone taking more than one second to actually think would see the validity in it.

I'm going to need a lot of help with my new Civic. My experience with a simple post about Folding absolutely smashes any confidence I may have had that the folks here, and the staff who run this site, would take the time and make a mature, heart felt effort to help me.

See ya round the Interwebz Ron. Thanks again brother.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM
HCF Member

I'm guessing you're running a free virus program like AVG, or have your Windows firewall cranked to the most cautious setting.

Don't believe the hype, I'm in agreement with VTX on this one, knee jerk reaction from people who may not even know what cookies and/or tracking cookies do without having to google it.

My photos link in my sig has nothing to do with Civics, I guess I'm breaking the rules too.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mudferret
I'm guessing you're running a free virus program like AVG, or have your Windows firewall cranked to the most cautious setting.

Don't believe the hype, I'm in agreement with VTX on this one, knee jerk reaction from people who may not even know what cookies and/or tracking cookies do without having to google it.

My photos link in my sig has nothing to do with Civics, I guess I'm breaking the rules too.
Thank you for your support in both this thread and the PM brother. It's nice to see at least a couple of people making an honest effort the address this whole situation for the honest, caring and extension of friendship it was truly meant to be. I'm over it now. But was quite surprised/offended at first. As anyone with sincere intentions such as mine would have been I believe.

Perhaps I'll hang out and see how things play out a bit more. Limiting myself to a single forum for information wouldn't be beneficial to me and, learning who to depend on and who to avoid in forums is always tricky at best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increasing membership?