Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best way to improve off the line performance

Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
HCF Member
Default Best way to improve off the line performance

what's up everybody i'm new here, and i just wanted to know what you all thought was the best way to improve my take off off the line in my civic, without turbocharging. I've got a 2001 Honda Civic EX, VTEC (btw is it DOHC or SOHC???). all stock right now. just curious to know what i can do to make this thing ****in fast.

Thanks,

- John B.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Best way to improve off the line performance

It's a SOHC. Chances are it's not going to be very fast without either A. Putting a lot of money into an N/A motor.or B. Boost. But if you want a few more hp for starters look into getting a quality intake, such as aem to help your engine breath a little better. Then you'll want to start looking into getting a quality header and catback exhaust system. I know DC sports makes quality headers, but I do not know if they make a header for a 2001. I'm not really familiar with 7th gens. As far as exhaust systems, there are a lot of reputable companies out there. Apexi, Skunk2, Magnaflow, etc. etc. Look around on this site and you should find reviews and such on a lot of different things.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

what is the difference between SOHC and DOHC, is there a way i can get DOHC and if so is it worth it? why is it i keep hearing there isnt much more you can do to hondas to make them faster without turbocharging them. thanks for your help bro

- John B.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Smaller wheels and tires will get you out of the whole faster. Unfortunately 7th gens came with kind of a bastard of a motor, D17s. Some people are claiming solid numbers with them through turbo charging, but I don't believe their engines will hold up long. The geometry of the D17s design just doesn't make sense to me with regard to performance or durability. They make great comutter cars, as they're design supports great gas mileage. However, I don't see them as being useful beyond that spectrum.

An option you have is a K-series swap. You've got to be real serious about performance to do it though. People quote anywhere from 5 to 10 grand for the swap. So I'd suggest you either be happy with what you got, maybe do bolt ons, smaller wheels, anda stiffer suspension, or be prepared to swap/get another car.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

your better off making your civic into a show car

Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Yeah.. show car or k series... I am quoted about 8 grand but I'd do the turbo too... so I'm looking at about $12,000 that my wife will NEVER allow me to spend.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

Unfortunately 7th gens came with kind of a bastard of a motor, D17s.
why is it that they made the motor less powerful than say a '99 or something of that nature? are you suggesting that the newer the civic got the less powerful they make it? that doesn't make sense because if you look at any other car, every few years or so they get gains in HP and in Torque.

as far as DOHC or SOHC do you think you could explain to me the difference please, i know one is Single Overhead or Dual Overhead but what does it do exactly

thanks
- John B.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

dohc is dual over head cam like the b18, h22, has 2 camshaft in the engine

sohc is single over head cam like most d-series engine, d15,d16,d17, f22 has one camshaft in the engine and u cant add another one to ur engine

cams open the valves to allow air and fuel to enter and exit the engine .intake, compression, power, exhaust

Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

You want power off of the line? Its so simple, you wont believe it. You need 2 things.........Torque, and sticky tires.

So you need boost and slicks. Then again, my definetion of "power" and yours are probably very different.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: johnb

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

Unfortunately 7th gens came with kind of a bastard of a motor, D17s.
why is it that they made the motor less powerful than say a '99 or something of that nature? are you suggesting that the newer the civic got the less powerful they make it? that doesn't make sense because if you look at any other car, every few years or so they get gains in HP and in Torque.

as far as DOHC or SOHC do you think you could explain to me the difference please, i know one is Single Overhead or Dual Overhead but what does it do exactly

thanks
- John B.
techinically more powerfull (by a lil) but your motor doesn't respond well to mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to improve off the line performance