Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake? should i worry about rain/water?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Cold Air Intake? should i worry about rain/water?

If i get a long ram air intake, do i have to worry about geting the air filter wet when driving in the rain and what not?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold Air Intake? should i worry about rain/water?

Lol, long ram
ok, this question has been asked of cold air intakes before, so try and do a search next time
Anyway, unless you are submerging the filter in water (driving IN high puddles or the frickin river) constantly, you do not have to worry about hydrolocking.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

i have a "short ram" with grilles over my hood with rain getting in all the time, hydrolock is just a very uncommon, but disasterous thing.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

if you're really worried about it you can get an air bypass valve, although it does restrict the air flow a bit. But i guess thats the price for having a CAI and driving through small lakes.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito. dont be stupid and drive thru deep water and youll be fine!
puddles are fine if they are small and you still have your inner fender liners and such UB splash shields around the filter.....

BUT if you like to drive thru deep water then i say get a short ram intake..... or just make your cold air intake a short air intake.... all it takes is a hacksaw....... just shorten the pipe and put the filter on the end.LOL very simple!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 PM

I thought someone on HCF said they hydrolocked without fully submerging the filter?

I live in FL and the street my neighborhood is on gets massive puddles (like 8 inches deep or more) during rain (something that happens like everyday here), so I got short ram intake just to be safe. I also have a piece of my wheelwell covers (that I removed because my wheels pulled them off the fender somehow and were burning them up) ghetto rigged and bolted/silicone-sealed over that hole by the filter in the engine bay.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

they can say what ever they want about hydrolocking that they didnt drive thru a deep puddle but i dont believe it!
they probably did just didnt think it was that deep.LOL

ive had my CAI for i think over a year now and i run my car thru good size puddles often and i havent had any problems. i dont aim for these puddles so most the time i will miss them.

but if in doubt go SRI or get one of those aem bypass valves and cut your intake tube.
i might change my intake to SRI since im gonna sit the car pretty low, i got a old intake tube that i pulled off because it got clouded looking after i cleaned my engine bay. so i just need to paint it to make it look nice and cut it short to make a SRI. but its nothing to big to me right now.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

If your careful get the CAI you should not have problems, mist from rain wateron the road will not hurt the car.

If you are very paranoid about sucking water into the intake get the short ram.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I believe it is possible to hydrolock without physically submerging the filter, although extremely unlikely... I'd think the entire filter would have to be completely saturated for the engine to suck in enough water to hydrolock... so basically, don't drive if there's a freakin' downpour, avoid deep water, and give your car time to dry before driving it after washing it (in case you accidently sprayed the filter with the hose)

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
HCF Member

basically, don't drive if there's a freakin' downpour, avoid deep water
That can be almost every other day down in Louisiana and Florida and those areas. I'm from New Orleans and if 8" of water was the deepest you had to drive through then i would have been estatic. (so would 100,000 people about 3 years ago) Streets and pot holes can flood really quick and be very decieving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake? should i worry about rain/water?