Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

first civic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Unhappy first civic!

hi i just bought a 1994 honda civic cx hatchback recently and was just wondering about any mods that i can do to it? i would like to put an aftermarket intake on it but i have no clue which one i should do as well as if i should do a cold air intake or a short ram intake! i need help!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

adding just an intake won't gain you anything other then making it easier to remove and clean the filter as long as its a short ram. a cold air will gain you nothing except making it harder to install and clean the filter not to mention making it more susceptible to hydro locking your engine. your best option is to find a dirt cheap short ram on ebay then replacing the filter with a quality one like AEM they sell them at advanced auto parts.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-06-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:28 AM

what about exhaust and headers? would an ebay one work too?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:38 AM

yes..... You understand you are asking if parts that are advertised to fit your will fit your car, right? You get what you pay for. There is a reason notable brand name companies (not eBay) charge more money than the companies on eBay.

Might be a good idea to tell us what state you are in. Some states are very strict on mods

You seem new at this. You need to start reading and researching before wasting money and time. Before buying anything, ask yourself these questions:

1. How much power do I want to make?
2. How much money do you want to spend?
3. How much of this work do you plan on doing yourself, or having a shop install?

Slightly off topic question, is the car auto or manual?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 03-08-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:55 AM

It's a 5spd and I will do most of the work myself. For the whole power factor I would like to get the most out of the car that I can possibly get while not breaking the bank because I am still in college so I don't have much money.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

if your not willing to spend the extra money on proven quality parts then don't waste your money because you will end up spending more to replace your rusted crappy parts. listen to to me because i know first hand if you buy ****ty ebay parts they are going to fail and you are going to be in a worse scenario then you are now. please don't waste your hard earned money on cheap ebay parts i cant stress that enough.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-10-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by rortega96
It's a 5spd and I will do most of the work myself. For the whole power factor I would like to get the most out of the car that I can possibly get while not breaking the bank because I am still in college so I don't have much money.
Give me numbers. You half answered one of the questions.

-You want as much power as you can afford.... so how much can you afford? How much is too much to spend on it?
Some people think $1000 is too much to spend, some think 5k isn't enough to spend on building a motor.

Don't bother ****ing with the car if you are in college and you don't have money to properly mod the vehicle. If you want to get a cheap intake and exhaust, that's fine for bling and noise, but don't expect major gains.

For D series, you either boost or swap the motor out for something larger if you want power. IMO, a reliable turbo set up is going to cost you in upwards of $2k. Then you need better tires and suspension to get the power on the ground. Not trying to scare you away, just giving you a dose reality before you jump in and start spending money recklessly. If you end up going for a turbo since it fits your budget and the power goals, then you will be happy we told you not to buy an intake and header as the turbo kit will replace those items, rendering them useless in your dorm room, or parents garage.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 03-10-2015 at 03:53 PM.