Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

fluttering noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Default fluttering noise

When i hit the gas the engine makes a weird fluttering noise when i raised the hood it sounded like it was coming from the header could it be the gasket getting old it's never been replaced it's 13 years old or do think it's just the belt

Old 06-30-2006, 05:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: fluttering noise

I bet it is a gasket if the car is that old... if you got the time/cash you should just go to a mechanic unless you can post a sound clip or vid

Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Default RE: fluttering noise

Thanks i think ill run it over to a shop and get them to listen to it it's hard to hear while it's just idleing you can really hear it though when you hit the gas and thats kindav hard to record going down the road but thanks i thought it might have been the gasket i cleaned some oil off the engine under the header earlier and thought it might have been woar down i just wanted a second opinoin from someone who knew a little more about egines then i do before i bought one any sugestions on what kind of gasket? Thanks agian!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Default 2001 civic coupe ex

I've got the same noise happening to my car. Its a little over 10years old and I just recently changed the spark plugs and found that the spark plug on the right was kinda drenched in oil so I guess my gasket is old as well. Anything else anyone might thing it is before I take it to the shop? The car has been basically sittin for the last 3 years since I was in germany. I did an overhaul on it just recently too but that damn fluttering noise is getting to me lol...

P.S i'm not a mechanic nor do I know much about cars, but i'm teaching myself since i've been back stateside. Any help or ideas on how I can get my vehicle to perform at a decent level would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

when accelerating in the car, you hear the fluttering? does the speed increase with RPM? if so it is possibly like my last 2 civics and just has a crack in the exhaust manifold, so you are hearing a little of the engine combustion that is leaking pre-muffler.

Just a possibility, seafoam will leave white on any crack, if you are willing to seafoam.