Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

amber inserts...aka: a pain in my arse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Default amber inserts...aka: a pain in my ****.

hi all...ok, so i'm kinda slow with the mods on my 01 ex coupe... but, i do want to remove the amber inserts on my headlights (i can't afford aftermarket ones right now). my boyfriend and i attempted this project a few nights ago, and were unsuccessful. we discovered that the lights are bolted on underneath the bumper... and i read somewhere that says you have to remove it to get the lights out. the place where i found this info also mentioned heating up the entire light in the oven for a few minutes at 325 degrees to soften the adhesive.

has anyone tried this? has anyone used a different technique? i'm a little hesitant to put my lamps in the oven. i don't want a blob of plastic all because i wanted the ambers taken out. [sm=bangbang.gif]

as always, any and all advice/suggestions are welcomed!!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: amber inserts...aka: a pain in my ****.

ORIGINAL: xe1002

the place where i found this info also mentioned heating up the entire light in the oven for a few minutes at 325 degrees to soften the adhesive.
That sounds scary, what about using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive?

Old 08-05-2005, 07:50 AM

There is a thread here that tells you how to do that by putting it in the oven, its pretty extensive with details so I'd try that first, and you could you a hair dryer but itd take a long time if you didnt put in the oven for a couple mins. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 AM

Can't be done with a hair dryer because the entire circumference has to be heated up at the same time in order to spread it apart.

Put it in the oven and just make sure you keep an eye on it. All you have to do is warm it up a bit to soften the adhesive, not enough to soften the lens.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 PM
mxs
HCF Member

wow, so it really works? I totally didn't believe it

Old 08-05-2005, 04:35 PM

i wasn't sure if i believed it or not too. i'll let ya know for sure when i actually attempt this project in a few days. [8D]

Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 AM

It works great. I did that on my old '03 Lancer and blacked out the headlights (painting the crome, black). Heres some pics: http://www.onlineshowoff.com/album.a...SGV&car_id=621
My wifes pregnant and I didn't want the car payment anymore so I sold it.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:13 PM

when you put your lights in the oven make sure you have a tray and tin foil in the tray. Also dont let your lights touch any of the hot metel it'll melt it. check your lights often to pervent it from from sitting in there to long and it getting melt. If you arent to sure about putting your headlights in the oven i suggest using a heat gun. It'll take longer but it works the same way.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:16 PM

here the link something like this http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ar...p/t-66020.html

Old 08-06-2005, 07:47 PM

xe1002, the best thing to put under your light and on the pan is a piece of cardboard. That way, you'll be able to tell for sure if your light gets too hot. (If it gets too hot for the cardboard, it's too hot for the light.)

Quick Reply: amber inserts...aka: a pain in my arse.