Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Gauge needle color change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM
HCF Member
Default Gauge needle color change?

In previous cars, I've changed the gauge needle colors, and was wanting to do the same with my EK Civic.

In the past, it was an easy (but tedious) process of popping the needles off the shafts, removing the old paint, then re-painting them in a new color.

I did a bit of internet searching, and haven't come across much about doing this on a Honda other than doing something like an indiglo setup, or paying the big bucks for a JDM cluster. I've read in one or two places that if you pop off the needles, it breaks the gauge.

Just wondering if this is indeed the case, or is the majority of Civic owners not doing it correctly? I suppose I could mask off the gauge face and paint the needles without removing them, but figured I'd ask first.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
HCF Member

I have popped my needles off of the speedo and gas. let me just say that this may nit have been the best idea (i was trying to keep my old odometer when i get a new cluster). The gas gauge came off and went back on okay, but i took it off a second time and it snapped the part of the needle that clicks in, so it sits in there now but does not work at all so i must count my miles on odometer as far as gas goes. Speedo came off easier and goes on easier... but i spent weeks trying to calibrate my needle to tell the right speed, since the little rod the needle sits on is uncontrollable when you pop the needle off. Now my speedo seems pretty accurate around 40-50 MPH since i drove by speed radars making it say that and popped the needle back on the display @ 40 when i passed the radar. I had to drive with the whole cluster open, probably not safe or a good idea either.

If you are very slow and careful it is probably doable right. The main issue is getting the gauges to read right after (i have 1997 dx, other models may be different).

I would say you are probably better off taking out the cluster and taping it off really well then just painting the needles while on the cluster.