Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Sound deadening

I know weight is the enemy, but my car is no racecar...

I don't like how cheap the doors sound when you shut them, and I've heard of some people puting dynamat in the doors to make them sound more solid when shut, and of course reducing road noise (which there's plenty of).

Is that effective? Any thoughts?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sound deadening

I hated the sound of the doors/road on my 04 civic so I deadened my whole car with dynamat-like stuff... the name has slipped my mind, something like lightning or like that... Dynamat is too expensive and in my opinion just as good. By using the stuff really didnt seem to weigh down my car and I still have stock suspension and I did it to 4 doors, the whole trunk up and down and below my floors... i went crazy on it.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

Did it make your doors sound more solid? Did it make a worth-while difference in road noise?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

Night and day difference! The first thing my girlfriend and I noticed was the sound... she said "they sound like real doors now"... I own a couple other german cars and it is still not as solid sounding as an audi or even VW... its more like an acura... but a good one! Seriously, though I got it all done in southeast idaho for 100 bucks for the WHOLE car and I love it.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

I was actually even surprised by the road noise cancelling... If my stupid muffler wasnt so loud my car would be pretty stealth right now... at least from the inside!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

I like what I'm reading... maybe this will go on my project list. What areas specifically did you do?

Firewall-Doors-Trunk???

Old 06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

you can do the floor, take out all the carpet and do it there, thats pretty hard core but it will really do a good job with the sound...oh ya, brands like brownbread and B-quiet and a cheaper make but just as good, there are alot of knock off brands out there you can find that do the same job but only cheaper

Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM

I did my entire car in tsunami silencer, and just like "themoogly" said, night and day. I have a 99 coupe so I did the doors, back panals, floor, pillars , entire trunk, basically the entire car. I swear when I shut the doors it sounds like a BMW. Well worth it. If you know how to take your doors off, do it yourself. It has a sticky back so you just apply, then smooth. If you take it somewhere for someone else to do it, it will cost you an arm and a leg, because it is very time consuming. Its deffently a weekend project.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 AM
HCF Member

How much money did you guys have invested when using off brand products and your own labor?

Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 AM

I would just dynomat your doors and trunk and maybe ur pillars. It doesnt HAVE to be dynomat but the same concept. My buddy did that but used somesort of silicon to place the dynomat and it sounds like a BMW and its a 90 hatch!!!

Quick Reply: Sound deadening