Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

HID's in Projectors that are currently normal bulbs.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 AM
HCF Member
Default HID's in Projectors that are currently normal bulbs.

Ok so i currently have the shark fin lights:

and the light output on them is just not enough. I want top go with some HID's and i know that the only truly correct way of doing this is to go with a retrofit but i just cant afford that right now.

Will the HID's work ok with my current setup? Do you think it would be better to go back to my stock housing and just stick the HID's in there?

Currently it seems as if these projectors do a decent job with controlling the light and the cut off seems to be pretty good so im hoping that tey can do an OK job of handling HID's.

If anyone has HID's in there shark fins, please post up some pics so i can see what they look like.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you can put in HIDs in those... will be slightly better than stock lights ive heard..
only thing is youll need to posibly open up the bulb opening a bit on the headlights since they make those projectors slightly smaller just to prevent you from using hids...
but you can make it fit easy enough...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

Yeah i have been doing some reading on hid planet and it seems like it might just be better to wait and do it right. Its just that my light suck sooo bad i cant even really see at night and would like to be able to see.

I guess the next question is should i retrofit these lights or use my stock ones?

Also if you can post up any links and stuff so i can look into it that would be great. There is alot of good info on HID planet but it more broad so hopefully you guys might have more civic specific links.

EDIT:

i guess i would have to do something like this if i wanted it to be good:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=civic

Last edited by BX_Civic; 03-09-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

yes retrofit would be best. are you still using your projector headlight with the halogen bulb? if you are, you might as well stick some HID bulbs in there since light output would be better than the halogen bulb in there.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
yes retrofit would be best. are you still using your projector headlight with the halogen bulb? if you are, you might as well stick some HID bulbs in there since light output would be better than the halogen bulb in there.
Yes i am and the current light output is the wackness.

So your saying that it would be ok to just go with whatever HID's i can fit in there for now? Then maybe go with a retro fit later on?

EDIT:
Ok so it has been done before but im soo lost when it comes to this stuff:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1938153

Anyone want to help me determine what this would cost parts wise?

2-300 bucks?

Last edited by BX_Civic; 03-09-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

if your thinking about doing a retrofit, then just stick to the plan, use the money towards the retrofit

Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

Well that's the thing i dont really have 500 bucks to spend on a retro right now but i don't want to spend 200 on something now only for it to suck and or not be usable later on.

My brother in law has some HID's in his matrix and they seem to be decent. He paid like 160 for his setup because he knows some guys in Queens who does them.

I dont mind spending that much if:
1: They work good with my current lights
2: they are of good quality

The thing is i don't know how to tell if theya re of good quality. What kind of questions should i be asking?

Like it seems that bulbs are important? Should i ask for bulb brand? Should i only use Phillips?

What about ballast? Is there a brand to look for or more importantly a brand that sucks?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

I've seen alot more then 500 for a retrofit... lol.. I've seen around 1000...

Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Yeah that is why that not really the avenue i would like to head down since i only paid 1700 for my car and spending even 500 for just lights seems a bit out of place.

I know that some 20 dollar bulbs are also not going to be the answer and am looking for someplace in the middle, that why i said maybee like 200ish is still ok to me as long as the results are going to be good.

So i have 3 options:
1: get HID kit for current shark fin lights and hope for the best, prob OK light output (200)
2: Just get the best bulbs i can and stick to halogen (100ish Silverstars?)
3: Go back to my stock lights and also get the best bulbs i can (100ish Silverstars)

So out of these three options what do you guys think is the best option?

EDIT:
sfazngiants:
I do have to say that your lights look pretty good so if you just pooped HID's in and they were not HID's to start i think ill be in good shape

Last edited by BX_Civic; 03-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by BX_Civic
Yeah that is why that not really the avenue i would like to head down since i only paid 1700 for my car and spending even 500 for just lights seems a bit out of place.

I know that some 20 dollar bulbs are also not going to be the answer and am looking for someplace in the middle, that why i said maybee like 200ish is still ok to me as long as the results are going to be good.

So i have 3 options:
1: get HID kit for current shark fin lights and hope for the best, prob OK light output (200)
2: Just get the best bulbs i can and stick to halogen (100ish Silverstars?)
3: Go back to my stock lights and also get the best bulbs i can (100ish Silverstars)

So out of these three options what do you guys think is the best option?

EDIT:
sfazngiants:
I do have to say that your lights look pretty good so if you just pooped HID's in and they were not HID's to start i think ill be in good shape

Option 1. You will notice a huge difference on light output.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID's in Projectors that are currently normal bulbs.